Wifi Tethering options

Last Updated:

1. Jakbob

Jakbob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just a few brief question about tethering.
    1. Can I password protect my droid like i could with a normal router? (WEP or something to that affect?) and

2. will verizon notice extreme usage of bandwith on my data plan from tethering too much? Supposedly our data plans are limited to 5gb a month even though they say its 'unlimited'. I don't think I'll use it all that much because i'll only use it in the event that I really need it and have no wifi access.

thank you! :)

P.S Do you tether? How has your experience with it been?

Advertisement
  2. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

As far as security goes, you can use WEP 128 bit and/or access control based on mac address filtering.

The data usage issue is a hot debate, but if you don't use much data, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I have been using wifi tether frequently since December and it's been a joy to use. The app has come a long way and has gotten much better through time. What really strikes me is the ridiculous range when tethering. The longest I've tested is about 50 feet away in my apartment, separated by four walls, two stone fireplaces and a fridge, and there was hardly a noticeable loss in speed.

3. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Yes. WEP is available.

The data plan for the phone is not limited to 5gb. The official Verizon tethering plan is limited to 5gb. However, unofficial tethering like this is technically against the terms of service and they could chage you more if they wanted to. I don't think anyone has ever reported this happening to them though. As long as you just use it occasionally you shouldn't have a problem.

I use it occasionally when I don't have any other way to get internet access on my computer and it works fine.

4. toker11

toker11 Well-Known Member

if im using the smoked glass 4.5 how can iIget wifi tethering?

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

From the AdamZ Smoked Glass 4.5 thread: in the first post, after you get the download for 4.5, underneath that is this:

The Rest of the Downloads...

Wireless Tether
    WEP Encryption, Access Control, and Faster Tethering Speeds...

Code (Text):
    1. Attachment:
    2. File comment: Rename to .apk - Remove .zip
    3. Wireless Tether fixed by Berzerker
    4. Working WEP and Access Control
    5. This image is not loaded WifiTether.apk.zip [325.92 KiB]
    6. Downloaded 946 times

6. toker11

toker11 Well-Known Member

i just got them off his youtube videos...anyone have the link to this thread? ive done some searching and havent found anything...

7. jeffyablon

jeffyablon New Member

Your "official" plan for Verizon Data on your device is unlimited; I've pushed Verizon pretty hard on the point; let's assume it's true.

But in fact tethering is against the rules, and they could either terminate you or even charge you for the overage.

The question, though, isn't about whether you use huge data, unless it's HUGE data. I use close to 5GB on my Droid every month without even using very much video, for example. That being true they aren't going to care if I use 7 or 8. Or probably even 10 or 12.

The issue is whether they can tell you are tethering another device. In theory, they could if they can see your MAC Address. So the real question is whether your computer's MAC is getting passed through and is visible, or whether all they see is the MAC of your wireless device.

And since the device is theirs, the answer lies in how your software for tethering works. Get familiar with that . . .

Jeff Yablon
    The Computer Answer Guy

Answer Guy on Droid

Virtual VIP and Answer Guy on Twitter

8. nydrumboy

nydrumboy Well-Known Member

I'm trying to understand something about tethering....why would I need to tether my phone to my laptop if the laptop already has WiFi built in? What is it about the benefits of tethering that I am missing?

9. Tymanthius

Tymanthius Well-Known Member

And if you are in the boonies with no inet, how do you get your laptop online? Youtether out, via wifi to your droid.

Noter, if your laptop has a built in verizon cell broad band card.

10. nydrumboy

nydrumboy Well-Known Member

So this isn't Wifi, as in connecting to my Linksys router, it's OTA wifi? That's what I'd be hoping to gain from it.

11. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

The Droid acts like a router, but with built-in internet. Your laptop should detect the Droid as "Android Tether" along with your home router. Hope this helps.

12. stedrocklp

stedrocklp Well-Known Member

Its really an amazing app that I love. You can DL it here if you dont already have it. I do recomend using the password protection because you never know what the neighbors are doing. Also you need root access, I.E. you must be rooted, to have this work. They just released a new version 03/10.

13. boycan

boycan Well-Known Member

I have root and have not changed any roms? Do I have to use another rom for this to work? I downloaded the tether app you linked and it seems to work, my PC sees it as Android tether and says it is connected but it won't open any pages? :confused:

14. stedrocklp

Do you know what kernel you have with your ROM? Some support wifi tethering and some dont (which can be fixed). Also I have experienced sometimes the it takes a minute for it to actually start tethering after it is connected. Did your phone show the name of the computer in the status bar? Because it wont start tethering until it does. Lastly, does it show any data moved either up or down?

15. boycan

boycan Well-Known Member

I don't know what rom I have no idea about kernal, haven't changed any so I guess it is stock 2.01? Droid did show my computer name in the status bar. It does show data being transfered, also I have Bitmeter installed on my PC and it also showed data being transfered but it wouldn't open any pages? Maybe I didn't give it enough time I will try again tomorrow night as I have to go to bed tonite :-/

16. The_Chief

UPDATE: Got it working. Great stuff! :D

17. stedrocklp

Great! Its an awesome app huh?

18. The_Chief

Yeah what little I've played with it. I have wifi at home so it's kind of a standby thing for me. But it's nice to have :)

19. naviathan

naviathan New Member

How's the bandwidth using this app?