• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi tries and fails to connect to networks on its own - but connects no problem when I ask it to..

hellenic31

Lurker
Jul 6, 2012
Hey everyone,

I've got a Droid HTC incredible, and i've had a problem with wifi for a very long time.

The problem is that it continually tries to connect to the same wifi source and fails... ad infinitum. It'll kill its own battery trying to make that connection, the result is that i'll take a look at my phone at any random moment only to find that it's eaten up 80% of the battery in just 4 or 5 hours because of this.

It does this both at home and at work. The obvious solution is to just turn wifi off, but the strange part about it is - if I go in and manually tell it to connect to either wifi source (at home and at work), it connects fine - first try, no problem! So my options are either to not use my phones wifi at all, or just continually turn it on and off whenever I want to use it, and manually go into the settings and pick my connection each time... Both options are not really acceptable, even though I've been juggling between the two for over a year. Also, this problem isn't totally consistent. Sometimes it makes the connection. Mostly it doesn't.

Ruling some things out - I've had this problem with all three of the most recent updates. I've also had the same problem on two different phones (my first phone's audio jack broke, so they replaced it. The old phone had the same problem). The problem happens on at least two different networks, with different security types, one of which I have no control over.

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix? It really makes me hate my phone, to be honest..

Problem Summary: When a valid wifi connection is available (and the credentials are saved in the phone), the phone continually attempts to establish said connection but fails each time. Only stops if I turn wifi off or go into the wifi-settings, click on the network I want and confirm that I want to connect...Then it connects fine.

I'm new here, so i'm sorry if i'm breaking any protocols!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones