Wifi UpdateGeneral

Last Updated:

1. darka5sa5sin

darka5sa5sin Guest

Just had a notification that there was a Samsung WHD Wifi Dongle update available via the Play store!!

Is this genuine or a Scam?

Advertisement
  2. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

i thought that phone updates only came through OTA or Kies?
  3. d4v3cl4rk

d4v3cl4rk Member

Dunno what it is but downloaded it anyway, everything seems okay...
  4. RamOG

RamOG Well-Known Member

Do you have a downloaded app named Samsung Wifi Dongle?
  5. d4v3cl4rk

d4v3cl4rk Member

Nope, but I would presume it has something to do with the handset?
  6. DaddyCee

i have it on the store now as well, does anyone know what this is?

seems to say WIFI next to it presumably meaning only download over WIFI and not 3G?
  7. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

Could you please link to the app you found? I'm suspicious, but I would like to confirm it and I can't find anything called "Samsung Wifi Dongle" in GPlay.

A wifi dongle would be an externalized device. Like a USB drive that you would plug in and it would give your device wifi capabilities. There are wifi dongles, 3G/4G dongles, and Bluetooth dongles (probably more) and I don't think you should need it, seeing how wifi is built into the S3.
  8. AeroSign

AeroSign Active Member

jerofld likes this.
  9. jerofld

I would contact customer service about it. It probably is something of theirs, they just didn't do the proper write up on it.
  10. d4v3cl4rk

d4v3cl4rk Member

I must admit that after DL the app? I have a better signal with my internet, not sure if it was the update or just better signal?
  11. darka5sa5sin

darka5sa5sin Guest

Me too which is why I am hesitant to install it.
  12. It's safe. I got it as well.
    jerofld likes this.
  13. jerofld

I see...I found out that the wifi direct dongle is basically a device that enables ad hoc connections. In simple terms: It allows one wifi device to connect to another without a wifi router.
  14. darka5sa5sin

darka5sa5sin Guest

So basically when I flick my videos from my phone to my Samsung TV that is on the same WIFI setup. Like it!!
  15. It's a great device (the wifi display hub). Need to save some money for it lol. Already bought the Samsung dock, battery charger and a 64GB Sandisk sdxc C10.
  16. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

I think we are all getting it. I just got a notification but I am waiting to see if people have problems with it?
  17. willhamhole

willhamhole Well-Known Member

Isn't this to for all share cast? I still haven't got the menu like in the photo on the app page!!! Its ridiculous.
  18. NeoHicks

NeoHicks New Member

Does anyone know if this is legit? Downloaded the major update yesterday and then the play update came up with the Dongle assumed it was ok and downloaded. :/
  19. CaffeSpain

CaffeSpain New Member

I still think it's dodgy. Especially because now I have something like FWUpgrade version 1.2.1716 in my downloaded apps, which can do anything it wants with my phone according to the permissions it has.
  20. NeoHicks

NeoHicks New Member

Found the FWUpgrade version 1.2.1716 plus also Software Update with the same icon and same permissions, I factory reset the phone and still comes up...not sure if this is actually phone components...both have the icon that was displayed from the site. I spoke with Geek Squad they advise is part of the phone but I do not feel assured. Wish I had paid more attention...threw me having the major update from Samsung and then coming up with the play site straight after I thought it was all part of the update. :(
  21. DaddyCee

i didn't update and am no longer seeing this in the Play store. Hope that isn't a bad sign.
  22. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

It appears to have now been removed from Play.
  23. CaffeSpain

CaffeSpain New Member

I can still see it in my apps, where it wants to update, although Samsung Belgium told me it was a mistake from their part and it should be removed from the google play store. :mad:
  24. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

I would not do it. Any updates from Samsung should be thru the phone.
  25. CaffeSpain

CaffeSpain New Member

Yeah, but a lot of people did. And it just want to update, so it is not completly removed from the google play store.
    It bothers me