• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WIFI useage

myet01

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
If you want to use WIFI do you have to turn off "mobile network"? Or the minute you turn on WIFI does your browser automatically detect and use it whether or not the "mobile network" is on or not?

Or is there something else that needs to be done that I am not aware of?

Thanks,

Tony

But do your applications automatically detect that WIFI is turned on and connected and then they use it? Or, do you have to turn off the "mobile network" to force them to use WIFI? That is my question, I understand if you can and want to you should have both of them turned on. Just as an FYI... I have my WIFI turned off as a standard rule so it doesn't consume my battery.

Tony

Upvote 0
Put both the mobile network and wifi widgets on your screen. Turn on wifi and see what happens to mobile network. If I remember correctly, they will toggle each other on and off.

Nope, just tested, doesn't turn off the Mobile widget. Hmm, thought I remembered that it did.

But yea, if you have WIFI on and something wants to use it, it will use it. That is why you can't get SMS with wifi on, you need to turn it off to get your pictures over mobile. Same thing with Sprint TV.

Upvote 0
Put both the mobile network and wifi widgets on your screen. Turn on wifi and see what happens to mobile network. If I remember correctly, they will toggle each other on and off.

Nope, just tested, doesn't turn off the Mobile widget. Hmm, thought I remembered that it did.

But yea, if you have WIFI on and something wants to use it, it will use it. That is why you can't get SMS with wifi on, you need to turn it off to get your pictures over mobile. Same thing with Sprint TV.

I get SMS with my wifi on. The second part I will confirm though, MMS and Sprint TV do not work with wifi on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones