wifi vs 3gSupport

Last Updated:

1. upsavr

upsavr Active Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry for the "stupid" question, but what is the difference between wifi and 3g? What is the advantage, if there is one to connecting to wifi instead of the verizon 3g?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

Wi-Fi usually will be faster then 3G.

You can place a call on 3G network and if your connected to Wi-Fi still use the internet.

You can't use phone and internet on CDMA 3G alone. You need wi-fi.

3G runs on CDMA network and Wi-Fi runs on internet connection

3. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

3G is your data connection provided to you by Verizon for using the internet, etc. Wifi is using wireless access points near you. Either your own, or free ones like they have at Starbucks etc.

I have not had a chance to test out wifi yet, but will hopefully soon. People have also experienced faster speeds with wifi, and less battery drain than using 3G.

YMMV.

Hope that helps.

4. BuickGS67

BuickGS67 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm definitely getting good battery life on wifi. Speeds are as good as the internet connection It's connected to, which at home and work are great for me.

5. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

When you connect to WiFi, it disables your Mobile network connection, which will save battery life. So if I'm in my room, I just connect to my wireless router to save battery; WiFi is typically faster than a 3g connection.

6. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

At my house I get upto 12500 download and 3000kbs upload on WiFi compared to max 2000kbs download and 2200kbs upload speed

So Yeah usually wifi just isn't a little faster it's much faster even at my slower work conenction I get 6000-7000kbs download

Plus wifi uses so much less battery then 3g I think one of the reasons I get 20+hrs of use out of my stock battery is I'm around wifi 8-12hrs a day

7. egg_head

egg_head Well-Known Member

I too have noticed an increase in battery life using Wifi over 3G when I'm at home, or other trustworthy locations.

I've been using an app called 'Battery Graph' to graphically compare average daily use using 3G and average daily use on Wifi.
    (I also used this program to compared the HTC 1300mAh battery to the 1500mAh battery)

I don't have any empirical data in terms of raw numbers, but I did observe while testing using Wifi- on those days- a higher overall charge percentage remained then days on 3G.

It also helps having a Wifi on/off toggle switch on the main screen of your phone so that you can turn it on and off when outside of trusted wifi hot-spots.

edit- The Wifi adapter does automatically go dormant after the phone has been in standby for 15 minutes (this is the stock setting), but I like having the Wifi toggle switch to turn off the Wifi adapter completely when I'm away from trusted wifi areas.

8. DA8GizMo

DA8GizMo Member

Hi guys,
    like the OP I appologise if my question is really basic..
    If I'm at work or home and connect via WiFi will that take precedent over 3G?
    And am I right in thinking that if I

9. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

10. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

How did you find that out?

11. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

You can see that's what happens by looking at the top bar icons.

12. DA8GizMo

DA8GizMo Member

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.
    Playing around with my Desire a bit more I've now added 2 great widgets to one of my screens.
    Simple WiFi and 3G toggles.
    These are already on the device so no need to download anything.
    Can be found here:
    Widgets -> Settings -> WiFi / Mobile Network (these are HTC Widgets so may not be on all devices..)
    I just turn either one on or off depending on where I am..
    WiFi on and 3G off when I'm at home, work and other places with trusted networks..
    and the other way round when I'm out and about!

Giz

13. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

I have had more than one occasion when 3G and WiFi are running at the same time for what ever reason.

14. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Try Y5 - Battery Saver - Android app on AppBrain

That'll toggle wifi on automatically when you are in range of remembered wifi networks.