Wifi vs. Network connectionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Namja

Namja New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,
    Does anyone know if I activate the Wifi connection it trumps the carrier network connection? In other words, if the Wifi connection is active (assuming i have a signal) and my carrier signal is also active, and I want to stream some audio--which pipe does the phone use to bring in the audio?

Advertisement
  2. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Wifi

3. Namja

Namja New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks!

4. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

I know you already got the answer, but know how I figured that out? My work's wifi has certain blocks on things like facebook, myspace and youtube, so if I turned on wifi, no workie. Good thing Verizon has amazing 3G coverage and I can get it even in the middle of this hospital. Unlike my poor iPhone toting co-worker. Tehe!!! :-D

5. weihl165

weihl165 Well-Known Member

I noticed with wifi also that if I have my network turned off, I can't download picture messages.

6. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

Yes, you have to have a 3g connection to get MMS media. If you have both wifi and 3g active most everything connected to the net will be wifi but if you get a mms 3g will lock in for a moment to get it and then fall back and let wifi do its thing.

7. cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

I have another question.I don't have Locale due to negative feedback. If I am connected to wifi at home or work and I forget to turn it off, will it automatically switch back to mobile network when I amout of range?

8. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

while 3g is off? no, i dont think so.

9. cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

No I never turn on or off 3G. I am just turning on wifi, but what happens when I am out of range of the wifi. Will it switch back or continue searching for and trying to connect to networks?

10. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

No signal means no wifi, but it will keep looking and kill your battery in the process.

11. cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. That's what I was looking for.

12. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

Same here. I can "get around" the corporate blocks for 3g. But, I am not a fan of the mobile web, so all I really do is peek at facebook while on lunch.

I've actually gottren into the habit of just keeping WiFi turned off and relying on 3G instead. Haven't noticed any battery issues yet. Battery life has gotten better if anything...