wifi wireless ethernet not working with Linksys WRT54G

Last Updated:

1. cdmackay

cdmackay Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hi all, my first post here, and hoping that people can help, please.

Just got my Hero on Friday, and all perfect except for wifi. Seems to work ok with an AP in my office, but in the house, not so good.

The phone gets a wireless connection, and obtains the correct IP address from my DHCP server (which is not the AP). But I cannot get to anything via IP; "not responding", "network error", depending on the app. My router (which is not the AP) does not see any packets from the Hero after the initial DHCP exchange (which does work, clearly).

The house AP is a Linksys WRT54G, running the original firmware. Several other wireless clients are working fine with it.

'G' mode only. WPA/PSK(AES). I've disabled SSID broadcast, and am using MAC filtering.

Following a few other posts, I tried turning off security, enabling SSID and disabling MAC filtering. Sure enough this cured things. But re-enabling security immediately killed it (even with SSID broadcast enabled and MAC filtering disabled), unlike the other posters.

It seems that all the wireless security works fine for a while: the DHCP exchange with my router succeeds and the handset gets an IP address. That could not happen if there were a problem with any of the wireless AP security, I believe.

But then the connection seems to almost immediately drop. The handset believes it is still connected, and even shows signal strength changing as I move around. but nothing works, and the AP drops it from the list of active clients.

This is very disappointing, as everything else about the Hero is so great.

would appreciate any comments, please; thanks much.

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I'm no networking expert, but it sounds from your detailed description that it's the encryption that's causing the problem. Does the connection hold up with encryption off but MAC filtering enabled? Have you tried WEP, in case the issue is restricted to WPA?

Sorry I can't offer more concrete advice.

3. cdmackay

Thanks; yup, it's definitely associated with encryption, as it seems to work fine with an open net.

I've not tried either of those combinations, will do shortly. It's a bit of a pain though, as have other people trying to use the wireless, and those tests will break them for a bit.

thanks again... at the least, I'd be interested to hear of others with this issue, as it will help in dealing with HTC and my reseller.

4. Squeeeez

Squeeeez New Member

Hello!

I seem to have a similar problem to yours, only that turning off the wifi encryption doesn't fix the issue.
    One thing, though, is that using the network seems to be no problem from the shell.
    - DNS resolution works from the shell, using the DNS servers which are outside the LAN.
    - ping works from the shell, to hosts inside the LAN _and_ outside.
    - Browser access to websites inside the LAN works.

As soon as the browser has to get past the router though, it's a no go.

5. cdmackay

sounds a little different to my issue,perhaps?

In a belated update, I note that my issue was cured completely by reflashing my Linksys WRT54G router from its old original (but latest available) Linksys firmware, to the opensource Tomato firmware.