WiFi, WPA2 and 64 character keySupport

Last Updated:

1. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just got my Incredible today and I've tried half a dozen times (carefully the last 3) to enter my security key, but I keep getting "Unable to connect". The pain in the rear is that I'm using a crazy 64 character, full ASCII range key so it's not easy to type in every time. I know it was right this last time but it still isn't connecting. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Advertisement
  2. bryn987

bryn987 Well-Known Member

no idea but I"m doing the same thing in about two days when I get mine. 64 character ascii key as well.

I will copy and paste it from an email, hopefully, as I can't be bothered to type it out, lol

3. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

Umm... with WPA2 don't you type in the pass phrase and not the encrypted key?
    That's how it works with my laptop and my wife's almost gone iphone.

4. Todd M

Todd M Well-Known Member

Make sure MAC filtering is not on when trying to add a device. If it is, you could type that key in until your fingers bleed and it still won't let you on.

5. kyler13

MAC filtering is not on. It's actually 63 characters when I counted it out, but regardless. I will try cut and paste from email tomorrow.

6. kyler13

Is that the difference between AES and PSK or something? Don't know anything about a passcode. I've always typed in the key on wifi devices, which basically means my laptop and my ipod touch.

7. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

Not sure. I read an article somewhere stating WPA2 with AES provided the best security, speed, and overhead.

Not that you are using MAC filtering, but I wouldn't bother with it. Anybody who can get past wifi security will be able to spoof a mac address.

8. kyler13

FWIW, I seemed to solve the problem by shortening the key. I tried something simple just to confirm there wasn't an underlying issue and it connected fine. Then I took my key and cut by about 20 characters, still worked. For the sake of time, I tried one last attempt of chopping off the last 4 characters to make it 60 total and that seemed to work too. I figure 60 is still pretty damn secure. Bottom line is that unless something in the last few characters threw Android for a loop, it might just be that it can't do 64 characters. If anyone runs into this problem, try trimming your last character off. I'll bet it works with 63.

9. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Good to know!

10. atex03

atex03 Member

I am also having trouble with my Wifi... I'm on a WEP network secured network. After inputting my password and I try to connect it says "obtaining address," then it will go to "remembered, secured with WEP." But it doesn't ever seem to connect. I never get the icon in the notification bar either.

Anybody have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

11. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

I kind of feel like you could use a normal passphrase when setting up your router. It will make a key out of that and you don't have to be the wiser.

My incredible worked fine today. It didn't see my routers 5ghz band, but it saw the 2.4ghz band fine and I only had to input my pass phrase

12. AcePuppy

AcePuppy Well-Known Member

WPA2 you don't type the encrypted key, so not understanding why you would need to type a 64 character key as it's the one passphrase "password" you need to type. WPA2 is also the most secure.

13. prightup2

prightup2 Member

agreed wpa2 passhrase only..and it connects just fine..
    only on the 2.4ghz band did not see my 5.0ghz network
    HMMMM...

and also INC is only a G device for now...I can't get N out of it...so 52 not 300mbs

14. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member

That's because it is B/G only. the 5ghz band is A/N. And even after a firmware update to enable N, it may not pick up the 5ghz band anyway as it may not be dual band.

15. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

I know. A lot of things are made to only support 2.4 since it's cheaper to support one radio. I'm lucky enough to have a router that supports both simultaneously.

16. Iam918

Iam918 Well-Known Member

Haven't gotten my DI yet, but just want to make sure we can set ip and input ssid etc on these manually.

My router at home has broadcasting & dhcp off w/ wpa enabled.

17. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

You can manually add a SSID, don't know about IP info.

It seems odd that you have both of those disabled.

Iam918 likes this.
  18. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

Just a fyi.

I can crack your wep in less than 5 min. Wep is basically worthless now a-days.

And hiding your ssid and using wep is worthless as well.

Go wpa or wpa2..

With enough time and a large enough rainbow table i can punch through wpa.

If you are using wpa or wpa2, most will pass up your wifi, infavor of your neighbors easier to hack wep.

19. Iam918

Iam918 Well-Known Member

I only allow a set # of IP's on my network and I like to know which IP goes to which device (comp, x360, wii, etc). Also for security reasons :) If someone does know the name of my wireless network & somehow gets the encryption key they still won't be able to use it as I have turned off DHCP & changed from the default IP address (defaults to 192.168.1.xxx).

20. jper15

jper15 Active Member

i have connected to my network, but i need to manually input, IP addys and such. where can you do this on DInc.....thanks.

also, off topic, but i have setup quick dial and quick text keys for people, but i would like to change the displayed name. is there any easy way to do this or am i just an idiot....

21. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

I did not want to come off like a wifi know it all.. It just scares me when folks use wep or no security at all.

I mac filter myself. ;)

22. KAL-EL

KAL-EL Well-Known Member

I feel you pain my friend! I must have tried to copy and paste with my 63 key for WPA2 about a two dozen times, and each time it said "unable to connect". Frustrating as all hell! I finally just carefully added it manually and it finally worked. Yeah, it was a pain to go that route, but at least it worked. Good luck!

23. Iam918

Iam918 Well-Known Member

s'all good :D I use wpa myself atm
    It's always good to have security input re: wifi as some may not know much or anything at all. I always think of security keys and so forth on wifi as I would a lock on anything else. It's mostly there to keep the honest people honest. If someone really wants in (and has the know how) they'll most likely be getting in.

24. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

They can still see your broadcasts if they don't have your SSID, and then they have your SSID. You are just inconvenience yourself. It would be way harder for them to crack your key... unless you write it down and let them look at it.

As far as the IPs. Turn on DHCP and assign static IPs to the devices you know of so they don't change.

25. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

If you aren't joking, mac filtering can be easily spoofed. Anyone who can get on an encrypted network will be able to get around filtering. Just like the other guy, you are just inconveniencing yourself.