WiFiSupport

Last Updated:

1. talvi

talvi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all Thinking of getting the Milestone 2 (in the UK, unlocked). If I connect the Milestone 2 to the net using WiFi and log onto Skype, I am assuming that I will be able to make a call in the same way as I can from my laptop. Am I correct??? hope so :)

Advertisement
  2. talvi

oops, I'm being dumb (Skype is a local App that connects to the internet! D'oh!!) so, first I guess I am asking if Skype runs on the Android platform, if so, then presumably(?) I can connect to the internet using WiFi and use Skype as I would on my laptop .... no? Anyway, I've asked this on the Milestone 2 forum as maybe this is the wrong place? Sorry twice :)

3. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

The answer is: "yes" ;-)

4. talvi

err thanks John but yes is the answer to which question? ;)

There is a problem with WiFi access but I don'tunderstand why. It appears to be only in the USA on the Verizon Milestone devices - so did Verizon castrate the Milestone? Or is it something else?

5. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

You asked (and I quote) "first I guess I am asking if Skype runs on the Android platform, if so, then presumably(?) I can connect to the internet using WiFi and use Skype as I would on my laptop .... no?"

The answer is "yes" to both. I have no idea why you have problems connecting to wifi, it could be almost anything - carrier issues, router issues, a zillion possible configuration mismatches, faulty phone...

But as to your original question, the answer is still "yes".

6. talvi

John, are you in the UK? There have been a lot of reports/discussions on the net about Skype on Android Milestones not being able to work via WiFi, but only via the carrier network. It may be something to do with the US Verizon machines. I'm just trying to nail it down.

7. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

Yes, I'm in the UK.