• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wildfire - a goodie??

kivy

Jul 13, 2010
Hi there,

I just ordered a Wildfire - mainly because I have to develop an Android app, but my university hasn't got any available phones at the moment and I am running out of time...

I was really happy that I found a phone that is actually affordable :)

...but I would like to know if I made a good choice by buying this one and if people, who already got it, would recommend it...not only for developing purposes but also for own use :p

Cheers

I got mine a few days ago. My first smartphone.

I got it mostly because of the price tag vs. specs. It's affordable but still pretty capable, at least in my opinion.

Overall I'm very satisfied and I've been fiddling with it ever since I got it. Haven't tried better phones with better screens I can't compare, but I can tell you that I'm more than happy with this one. Images, menus, videos etc. look crisp and clear and I couldn't be happier.

The screen size is quite large enough for me - of course I'd like a bigger one, but honestly I haven't felt annoyed at the screen size once since I got it and I've been doing my fair share of internet browsing.

My only complaint is the life of the battery - it drain rather fast. It's to be expected with a big screened smartphone, but it's still annoying to me. I've charged it every night since I got it, which is only a few days. I don't expect this problem is any less of an issue on the Desire fx. Also, there are ways to save battery more than I do, but I'm still investigating my options so I'm optimistic.

It's a nice phone for getting started with Android, even tho I'm not developing. Having never had a smartphone before, I only see the Wildfire's good sides as I can't compare to more expensive phones and see where it falls short.

I haven't regretted my purchase for a second.

For development purposes, I think you need to consider that the Wildfire runs at a lower resolution than some of the more expensive ones, but if this is an issue I'm unsure of - but check it out.

Reactions: kivy
Upvote 0
Well I have the Xperia X10 and the wildfire.

The Xperia is meant to be a high end phone, and has a 4'' screen, but only runs android 1.6 at the moment, so is no where hear its potential at the moment.

The wildfire is a brilliant little handset in my opinion, yes the screen is less resolution, but that is only an issue in very bright sunlight.

htc's sense system is way better than anything the xperia has, and having seven screens is better than the three that the xperia has.

Even though the wildfire only has a chip that runs at half the speed of the X10, there is no real difference in the speed of the two phones, unless you are doing anything that is very power hungry. Even the copilot software I have on them both runs just as well on either phone.

All in all the wildfire is a really good buy, and providing I can get the wildfire unlocked, it will probably become my main phone until the X10 gets 2.1.

Even then the wildfire will take some putting down. As for battery life, well the X10 was lucky to get through a day before the recent update, where as now it would run quite happily for two days with the use I have, and the wildfire although being used more than the X10 just due to it being a new toy, will still give me two days without a charge.

htc really have got a winner with this phone.

Upvote 0
Well I have the Xperia X10 and the wildfire.

The Xperia is meant to be a high end phone, and has a 4'' screen, but only runs android 1.6 at the moment, so is no where hear its potential at the moment.

The wildfire is a brilliant little handset in my opinion, yes the screen is less resolution, but that is only an issue in very bright sunlight.

htc's sense system is way better than anything the xperia has, and having seven screens is better than the three that the xperia has.

Even though the wildfire only has a chip that runs at half the speed of the X10, there is no real difference in the speed of the two phones, unless you are doing anything that is very power hungry. Even the copilot software I have on them both runs just as well on either phone.

All in all the wildfire is a really good buy, and providing I can get the wildfire unlocked, it will probably become my main phone until the X10 gets 2.1.

Even then the wildfire will take some putting down. As for battery life, well the X10 was lucky to get through a day before the recent update, where as now it would run quite happily for two days with the use I have, and the wildfire although being used more than the X10 just due to it being a new toy, will still give me two days without a charge.

htc really have got a winner with this phone.

i have buy the wildfire today, previus i had htc hero, x10 and x10 mini, i have the mini now too but i must say the wildfire is a realy great phone and i don't think will be sad then you got it, i know it's not a desire but it can do much like the desire and it's a way cheaper :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones