Will 2.1 block root access?

Last Updated:

1. tangomango

tangomango Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hm, I read that official 2.1 (from another Droid forum) will be blocking root access. I too thought that this is kind of odd, so I thought to ask.

Can anyone confirm/deny at this point?

Advertisement
  2. Xritam

Xritam Well-Known Member

yes they have fixed the root exploit for 2.1 droid.

3. tangomango

So if I had any intention to root, then I should do it now?

Hm, that complicates things a little =(

4. Xritam

Xritam Well-Known Member

just root and block ota.

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Not really. While it's almost certain the 2.1 OTA will fix the root vulnerability, it will get re-rooted in no time.

I mean the N1 running 2.1 was rooted before it was released by a guy who didn't even have one to test his root exploit on!

6. tangomango

Nice! The thing is, my phone will come in sometime this week so I gotta wait for the phone to come in first =P

haha, very promising indeed

I'm sure by the time I get comfortable with the phone, someone will have a way to root it.

thanks for the quick reply fellaz!

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Do you have a reference? Or are you just going off hearsay? No offense, but I keep hearing this statement being thrown around as fact, but I have yet see anyone be able to supply any reference at all.

It's not a big deal either way. I know the powers that be will have 2.1 rooted in no time.

8. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anything official, but I will be very surprised if they haven't. It's a game of cat and mouse that all Software manufactures seem to enjoy chasing :D

But who knows, maybe the big G will have a change of heart and open root access to all be default! (and the price of bacon will go through the roof...:D)

9. phaze3131

phaze3131 Well-Known Member

It's Vz that doesn't want us to have full (root) access to our devices. Do you know how long it took them to give in to the notion of devices on their network without their custom handcuffed software! Glad they finally gave in!

10. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

ok so if I don't block OTA and the phone updates, it removes my root access, am I reading this correctly?

11. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

I do not think there is any official source that says root will be blocked by 2.1 but I think that it goes without saying that since it is a new OS that if you want to root you would need to somehow revert back to 2.0.1? That is until root exploit is gained with 2.1 of course. Like for instance how we need to have 2.0.1 installed BEFORE we root now (and not 2.0)? Am i right about this??? This is just me speculatin' :)

12. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Only people can speculate ... and that is my VERY point. When that happens to someone, then we'll have a precedent to go on. Until then, everybody is just guessing.

No, it doesn't "go without saying". If the official 2.1 ROM has the same file structure and/or root "vulnerability" (IF you want to call it that), then we will not lose root access after the update. I can go from my current 2.0.1 ROM to humancyborg's 2.1 ROM and not lose root.

13. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

I did say..."i think" and that i was just speculatin' bro. That is all. And your comment on going from 2.0.1 to a 2.1 ROM doesn't mean anything at all. In fact you are almost proving my point that you had to start from 2.0.1 right?

14. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Actually it has been fixed, if you go back and read the original root thread on alldroid they posted the page on the Android/Google site that showed the exploit/bug and it was then revised the next day.

15. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

16. tangomango