• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will 2.1 block root access?

just root and block ota.

Nice! The thing is, my phone will come in sometime this week so I gotta wait for the phone to come in first =P

Not really. While it's almost certain the 2.1 OTA will fix the root vulnerability, it will get re-rooted in no time.

I mean the N1 running 2.1 was rooted before it was released by a guy who didn't even have one to test his root exploit on!

haha, very promising indeed

I'm sure by the time I get comfortable with the phone, someone will have a way to root it.

thanks for the quick reply fellaz!

Upvote 0
yes they have fixed the root exploit for 2.1 droid.

Do you have a reference? Or are you just going off hearsay? No offense, but I keep hearing this statement being thrown around as fact, but I have yet see anyone be able to supply any reference at all.

It's not a big deal either way. I know the powers that be will have 2.1 rooted in no time.

Upvote 0
Do you have a reference? Or are you just going off hearsay? No offense, but I keep hearing this statement being thrown around as fact, but I have yet see anyone be able to supply any reference at all.

It's not a big deal either way. I know the powers that be will have 2.1 rooted in no time.

I haven't seen anything official, but I will be very surprised if they haven't. It's a game of cat and mouse that all Software manufactures seem to enjoy chasing :D

But who knows, maybe the big G will have a change of heart and open root access to all be default! (and the price of bacon will go through the roof...:D)

Upvote 0
I haven't seen anything official, but I will be very surprised if they haven't. It's a game of cat and mouse that all Software manufactures seem to enjoy chasing :D

But who knows, maybe the big G will have a change of heart and open root access to all be default! (and the price of bacon will go through the roof...:D)

It's Vz that doesn't want us to have full (root) access to our devices. Do you know how long it took them to give in to the notion of devices on their network without their custom handcuffed software! Glad they finally gave in!

Upvote 0
I do not think there is any official source that says root will be blocked by 2.1 but I think that it goes without saying that since it is a new OS that if you want to root you would need to somehow revert back to 2.0.1? That is until root exploit is gained with 2.1 of course. Like for instance how we need to have 2.0.1 installed BEFORE we root now (and not 2.0)? Am i right about this??? This is just me speculatin' :)

Upvote 0
ok so if I don't block OTA and the phone updates, it removes my root access, am I reading this correctly?

Only people can speculate ... and that is my VERY point. When that happens to someone, then we'll have a precedent to go on. Until then, everybody is just guessing.

I do not think there is any official source that says root will be blocked by 2.1 but I think that it goes without saying that since it is a new OS that if you want to root you would need to somehow revert back to 2.0.1? That is until root exploit is gained with 2.1 of course. Like for instance how we need to have 2.0.1 installed BEFORE we root now (and not 2.0)? Am i right about this??? This is just me speculatin' :)

No, it doesn't "go without saying". If the official 2.1 ROM has the same file structure and/or root "vulnerability" (IF you want to call it that), then we will not lose root access after the update. I can go from my current 2.0.1 ROM to humancyborg's 2.1 ROM and not lose root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones