Will 2.2 give the Incredible "Hotspot" capability?General

Last Updated:

1. ckelly33

ckelly33 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

like the title says, is 2.2 expected to give the incredible hotspot/mifi capability or does that require special hardware that the incredible does not have (but the droid x does)?

Advertisement
  2. Aremihc

Aremihc Well-Known Member

The hardware is there. We here call it "WiFi Tether." It will be enabled, but it will cost $25 a month from Verizon (I assume it will be the same as the current Broadband Connect fee). Just root your phone now and save yourself the $25 a month plus the wait.

3. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

rooting is easier said than done. It seems very complicated on this phone. Did they find an easy way to root yet?

4. bgrutter

bgrutter Well-Known Member

With PDANet already getting around the need to pay for USB enabled Tether (and Bluetooth as well), does anyone think there will be a solid app contender out there that will work around this WiFi issue without the need for root? I wouldn't mind paying $10 for an app that allowed me to WiFi tether for free.

5. smurfe

smurfe Well-Known Member

Does the phone have to be rooted for PDA Net to work? Just wondering. I used that app on my jail broke iPhone. Worked pretty good and would definitely buy it for the DINC whenever it may get here. I do have no prob Rooting though if it isn't that complicated a process.

6. bgrutter

bgrutter Well-Known Member

No, root isn't necessary. PDA Net is also free, unless you want to view secure pages (probably would want that if you used it often).

My hope is that there is a way to have a non-rooted app that would enable the WiFi tether, post Froyo. Though I'm not 100% adverse to rooting, I'd rather avoid it if I don't have to.

7. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

nope, PDAnet runs on none-rooted phones, I myself am using it :)

smurfe likes this.
  8. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member

I take it you are talking about the Incredible acting as a wired hotspot rather than a wifi hotspot. If I am correct it does not have the hardware capability to be a wifi hotspot (like say the EVO or other select devices). Correct me if I am wrong (hope I am).

9. contagous

It has the hardware capabilities, but you have to run software to make it work and the phone must be rooted to do it atm as well...

But with the wired you don't need to be rooted or anything.

smurfe likes this.
  10. smurfe

smurfe Well-Known Member

So PDA Net doesn't create a WiFi signal? You have to be wired to the computer to phone? On the iPhone it would send a WiFi signal. I guess though if I can plug in a cord, it doesn't really matter as long as it will fire up my Mac Book when I am away from home.

11. contagous

Nope i'm afraid, PDAnet is only wired of Bluetooth signal...

smurfe likes this.
  12. PokerMunkee

PokerMunkee Active Member

Spend a a hour and root the phone! I've used my wifi tethering a bunch of times and it rocks!

13. contagous

Pff you wish an hour, lol, I tried everything for around 2 weeks now, and nothing will work, I've give up for now, not needed atm

14. smurfe

smurfe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Look forward to trying it out. It was the ONLY real reason I jail broke the iPhone. I liked the app and never had an issue with it.

15. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member

Do you happen to know if Froyo's tethering capability is supposed to allow for wifi tethering or just has an app like pda net built into it?

16. contagous

Froyo will allow wireless hotspot feature, But what we don't know is if Verizon will disable it or not, but I'm sure a rom will come out with that enabled :)

17. Aremihc

I think we spend too much time trolling the UNOFFICIAL sources, and ignore the official ones. Verizon will allow WiFi tethering on the Droid X if you pay them, so I assume the Incredible and other capable phones will be able to do it.

Droid Does | The Next Generation of Does by Verizon Wireless Click "Initiate Droid X Features"

As far as I know, WiFi tether requires the antenna be set to a different mode (WiFi and 3G running at the same time can't happen normally) so I think it will always require root. Though maybe once Verizon starts charging for it there will be a hack.

18. contagous

So you assuming is just as bad as unofficial stuff, and I NEVER SAID anything false, all i said was I THINK....

19. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Wireless teather will be available on either phone (we're already using it on rooted DI's so clearly it's a green light) but 100% chance that Big Red will cripple it. So it'll be a paid feature as common sense would dictate.

There's no advantage to DI vs X in this regard. Root or a higher monthly bill will be required to use it in either case.

20. Aremihc

I wasn't saying unofficial is bad, just that sometimes the info is floating around on official sites too. They specifically mention "3G Mobile Hotspot Plan," so we know they have a scheme in place to charge for it.

21. dragonsamus

dragonsamus Well-Known Member

I hope so. I would love that feature.

22. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

You're wrong because you can wifi tether with this phone Rooted. Hardware has nothing to do with it. All software.

23. Robhimself

Robhimself Well-Known Member

I would like this feature but I wish it was part of my data plan but it will be an extra charge. I would root but I really enjoy sense so maybe later but for now Im ok without it.

24. PokerMunkee

PokerMunkee Active Member

Rooting doesn't change anything with your phone. You don't lose any of your settings/apps, Sense stays the same. The only way you can tell a phone is rooted is by seeing the "Superuser Permissions" in your app listing.....and obviouslly having the wifi tethering app :)

25. gobluejd

gobluejd GOBLUE! VIP Member

Interesting, I did not know this.