• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will 905 Kill Root?

Coronach

Dec 10, 2009
Columbus, OH
My wife's phone got a notification that it has an update pending. I assume it is the 905 update that everyone is talking about. I'm at work right now so I can't do a lot of research on it, but she was wondering if she should update or not. Her phone is rooted and we don't want to lose root. If we want to not update, how can she kill the notification?

Thanks in advance, and I would do more digging myself, but like I said I'm at work and can't really do too much looking right now.

Mike

OTA's will always remove root.. just use voodoo ota rootkeeper and backup before you update, worked fine here no issues

That's what I thought, too. I mean, that's what we've been told since the days of our OG Droids. But I've accepted the last two OTA updates, and I've retained root both times. I've been on the stock ROM for quite some time now, so I didn't have a ROM that protected it, or use any alternative method to ensure I kept it.

Mostly, it was a curiosity thing as I wasn't worried about having to reroot, so this isn't something I'd recommend to anyone not wanting to have to go through the motions of losing root.

Upvote 0
That's what I thought, too. I mean, that's what we've been told since the days of our OG Droids. But I've accepted the last two OTA updates, and I've retained root both times. I've been on the stock ROM for quite some time now, so I didn't have a ROM that protected it, or use any alternative method to ensure I kept it.

Mostly, it was a curiosity thing as I wasn't worried about having to reroot, so this isn't something I'd recommend to anyone not wanting to have to go through the motions of losing root.

It's a fact, OTA's will remove root- which means you either forever rooted (or used a script that included it) and forgot or you just got lucky with a glitch on your handset both times, this isn't a Moto thing. Read up a post or two (New Rising) or in the 905 update thread, some users have already had their root removed on update, which in that case you would have to use motofail.. and like you said if you really are concerned about your root just use rootkeeper easiest way to go because doing nothing you're gonna lose it... under normal circumstances

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones