Will a 1.6 phone screw me over?

Last Updated:

1. iPlunder

iPlunder New Member This Topic's Starter

I am on Cincinnati Bell and I want to buy their carrier exclusive "Blaze", but, it comes with 1.6. Considering how tiny of a part of the market the Blaze is a don't foresee an update in the future for it. I haven't been able to find any good reads about 1.6 so will this keep me from being able to get a lot of new apps or what? What percent of apps don't work with 1.6? What would be the large disadvantages of 1.6?

Thanks, sorry If i am doing anything wrong. I am new here.

Advertisement
  2. CptGemini

CptGemini Well-Known Member

1.6 is the highest the G1 will see which is what I have an I have had no problems running anything on it whatsoever aside from a little issue I had with the phone itself earlier this morning but it seems to be working now, allthough I am afraid to turn it off. As far as apps go everything I have or have had in the past has worked, including that 20mb baseball game thats on the market, I tried the demo to see how it was and it worked fine.

Only downside is the low internal memory my phone has, not sure of the one you are looking at though.

3. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

My phone came with 1.6. Used it for like half an hour, then rooted it (equivalent of jailbreak) and updated to 2.1 (Liquid has a large development community).

1.6 is good but I find the added homescreens/better browser/MULTITOUCH (major addition because my phone does not have a dpad/trackball/optical mouse) of 2.1 to be superior.

You can take a look at what each update entails here- Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isn't Cincy Bell getting the Motoroi? Honestly, if you can wait for the Motoroi, I think you should.

4. iPlunder

Will I be missing out on too much if I have 1.6? I am really interested in this phone. To put things in perspective I have an unlocked iphone with 2.2.1, so I can't use a huge majority of apps, and because it is unlocked I am can only use internet with wifi. That is the phone I have right now, so the android blaze is looking really really good. So you think I should go for it?

5. caustic

caustic Well-Known Member

6. iPlunder

Ah, that looks like good news. Will someone briefly explain what I can do with that?

7. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

Root will let you load custom firmware. It also means in the event that CB never releases updates for the phone, someone could potentially port Cyanogenmod over to it.

8. Connormgs

Connormgs Member

Cyanogenmod 5.0.8 running on my G1 is the best custom ROM by Cyanogen and ever yet. Runs super fast, Apps2SD for unlimited app space, a large community for the ROM and an extremely active IRC channel and developer make it a winner.