Will a factory reset....General

Last Updated:

1. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

bring my Eris OTA 2.1 back to the factory 1.5 OS?

I finally got my notification at 1am last night, was super happy, then realized 2.1 probably shouldn't have been made for the Eris due to all of the errors.

I've searched around the forum and I see some people saying it's getting better battery life, it's more responsive and it's less laggy. Well, I have the exact opposite experience. Mine is 10x laggier, much slower, and the battery life is worse. I've even tried getting rid of apps just to see if it would work. Nothing.

The weather widget that comes with the phone doesn't work, whatsoever, in 2.1. When you view all programs, I set it to list, it resets every single time back to a grid view. Annoying.

All in all, 2.1 is not worth the headache. I don't need navigation, since I've already got a Garmin GPS, and everything else is just not worth it for the overall slowness of this OS on this phone. 2.1 works great on my buddies Incredible, but the Eris simply does not match up.

So if I factory reset, will I get 1.5 back? If not, what can I do? 2.1 is really unacceptable on here. Thanks guys!!

Advertisement
  2. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Hard reset will not give you 1.5 back. Maybe a hard reset will do your 2.1 OS good; however.

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Short answer, no.

Longer answer, try restarting the phone or doing a hard/factory reset to see if that does improve some of your problems. If all else fails and the phone does not improve, take it to Verizon.

4. Jmtegra

Jmtegra Well-Known Member

No it will not take you back to 1.5 it will just give you a fresh start on 2.1 witch might not be a bad idea.

When you first install it the phones working hard to resync everything so this could be the reason the battery life is no good and your seeing lag.

5. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

No, it will not take you back to 1.5. Have you checked into all the tips and tricks to improve battery life, lag (not widespread issue, btw), and other "issues"?

6. jayochs

Bah! Thanks guys for the quick reply. I'll give a hard reset a try right now, and then if that doesn't help anything, i'll factory reset to try to restart 2.1. Do you guys with OTA 2.1 really notice the keyboard, etc being MORE responsive and less laggy??? I'm finding it SO much less responsive and more laggy, ugh.

Also, what would verizon do if I brought it to them? I don't think it's under warranty or anything; I bought it off of a friend a week ago for 20 bucks since he bought himself the Incredible lol

7. yewslus

yewslus Active Member

Wait around these forums for a few days, maybe a week or two...someone will figure out how to root the OTA and you'll be able to flash ROMs...

8. Jmtegra

9. jayochs

hmm, what is all this rooting and whatnot I'm seeing? I really have no idea what any of that stuff does lol

10. Jmtegra

11. jayochs

Thanks! i'm currently deleting a lot of my text messages as well (although it does take forever...what a silly problem with the eris lol) and i'm hoping that might help speed it up....i've cleared a lot of cache, but still no major improvement. i'm using advanced task killer to get rid of a bunch of stuff; however, i noticed that in the apollo file manager i'm seeing programs open that task manager isn't seeing. hmm.

12. Jmtegra

Open ATK and go to Menu>Settings>Security Level and set it to low and you should be able to see everything.

But honestly when i stopped using a task killer and let the OS kill things when needed it ran alot smoother.. Those programs will just keep opening back up using more memory and battery to start up then to run in the background.

13. jayochs

really? hmm. i only thought the task killer was appropriate because i would notice my memory draining throughout the day. for example, by the end of 6 hours or so, i'd kill tasks and only have 39 or so megs free, as opposed to earlier in the day when i would kill and get 80 megs free.

14. jayochs

also i've searched and not found anything....but what's a good text deleting app? like, deleting texts with the native messaging program sucks because you can't pick and choose before a certain time period, etc. i have 600 something texts with one person but i don't want to delete the newest ones!

15. Jmtegra

There are a few in the market but ive never messed with them. I also hate deleting texts it takes forever. I usually try to delete threads when they get around 300. Still takes a few minutes though.

16. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Shouldn't matter. The phone has a one year warranty.
    If you have to, take your friend with you. I don't think being on another line would cancel the warranty... they can look up his account to see when he bought it.
    But if not, maybe he'd be a nice guy... do a phone swap, go into verizon, then swap again.
    Kind of an inconvenience, but it might get you a new phone (assuming it's the phone that's screwed up)

17. jayochs

ahh, thanks for the input. i've been messing around and i'm starting to get used to it. i suppose it was just breaking itself in with all the syncing and whatnot. i recently began to use swype as well, and its much cooler/more responsive than the regular keyboard!

18. MisterWilly

MisterWilly New Member

I had similar problems in 1.5 while using the native text messaging app. You should give Handcent SMS a try. After installing, my eris seemed a lot faster than what it had been with the old one.

I don't think it has the function to delete texts between certain dates/times, but I have no problem with it even though I have 6k+ texts with only one person that I'm too lazy to delete.

19. HookEmHorns*UT*

HookEmHorns*UT* Well-Known Member

I just went ahead and did a factory reset and the phone is performing excellent now. Its fast and responsive and all programs and apps are working properly. So if you are having issues i would recommend doing a factory reset.
    A Verizon rep had to reprogram my phone for me and said they know about the issues at hand and are working with HTC to get these resolved as soon as the update is completely pushed out. He is recommending to everyone that he talks to to reset the Eris after the 2.1 upgrade.

20. paleodust

paleodust Well-Known Member

+1

OfTheDamned used to have a link to a very convincing post that talks about how task killers are gimmicky and unnecessary on the Android operating system. It takes care of killing tasks automatically as necessary. You don't need them and they just waste processing power (and your battery).

21. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

Where do you find factory reset on 2.1 cant seem to find.

22. HookEmHorns*UT*

With the power off hold volume - and the send button and power your phone on. On the screen that appears just press down on the trackball and it will reset. It only takes about 5 mins.

paleodust likes this.
  23. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

Thanky.

24. HookEmHorns*UT*

Make sure your contacts are synced with gmail!!

25. paleodust

paleodust Well-Known Member

Does that method wipe everything off the phone and start it like new out of the box?

BTW, is it volume up or down?