Will a new digitizer fix this? Water damage

Last Updated:

1. Murvid

Murvid New Member This Topic's Starter

So I got caught in the rain and the phone died. I tried to turn it on the day after and the touchscreen was completely weird, it acted like I pushed all over the place. I turned it off and put it in rice for 4-5 days. When I turned it on the bottom half of the screen worked for a day, then it stopped working again. I put it in rice for about 10 days, then I used a hairdryer for about 5 hours on low heat.

Now, still only half the touchscreen works. Sometimes it wants to go helicopter view when I'm only using one finger, sometimes the notification bar is activated if I'm playing around in the lower regions and sometimes the screen stops being responsive at all.

Thinking I'm the handyman I just ordered a new digitizer, but I have no real idea if that's the problem or not. Can something have corroded inside and caused this, or will a new digitizer most likely fix this?

New digitizer: 40 usd. Insurance: 160 usd. Obviously I want it to be the digitizer :(

Advertisement
  2. Beans

Beans Member

if your phone got wet.. never try to turn it on unless you made it sure that the internals are dry.. This will short the circuit and kill your phone immediately.

3. Murvid

Murvid New Member This Topic's Starter

I am aware of that in normal circumstances, but I was too drunk to remember what had happened the night before and didn't notice it was wet. I found out afterwards when I saw moisture on the inside.

Should I try to take it apart and rub it down with the alcohol substance, or is will all this probably go away if I get a new digitizer?

4. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

There's no way of diagnosing a problem like this over a forum. It could be the digitiser, or you could have buggered up part of the motherboard. If you feel up to the job you can try replacing it and see if it helps, but I'd be ready for the fact it's broken.