Will Allowing Networks To Detect my position drain my batteryGeneral

Last Updated:

1. anil099

anil099 New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok what I want is for whenever I move from one place or another ...maybe driving 30 mins or an hour the weather automatically updates to that location without me having to manually refresh

what do I need to turn on for that in the location services

"Use Wireless Networks/Mobile Networks" Location determined by wifi and or mobile networks
    "Location Settings" Allow network to detect your position
    "Enable GPS Satellite" requires more battery

These are the three options I can check...the first one is checked right now

if I check the second one will it update the weather automatically or is the first one all that is required

and it says the battery will be drained in the third option but what about the 2nd option

thanks

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

As I understand it, the second option is sort of a privacy limitation, but has no hardware implications (toggling it one way or the other won't affect how much power the handset uses). Turning on the GPS will use a little more power - but nowhere near as much as the "Mobile Network" connection.

Clearly, Verizon absolutely knows - at all times - what cell tower(s) you are using if you are on their network. I believe the (2nd) option you mention pertains to whether or not applications are allowed to access that data from the handset.

To answer your question about what to use for weather updates - the guesstimate which comes from tower location is good enough for weather purposes - the tower location guess is usually only off by a few miles at most - how different will the weather be over that distance?

HTH

eu1