Will an android phone thats not from t-mobile work with their 9.99 internet plan?

Last Updated:

1. Jorge22f

Jorge22f Member This Topic's Starter

I have a G1 and used to have the 9.99 plan working fine but then I got the message in my browser about upgrading my plan and all that, but sincerely $25 a month for edge is not worth it for me, I only used the internet for widgets and the android market any heavy downloading was done through wi-fi (since edge would have taken ages) I'm not sure how T-mobile knows if you have a G-1 or MT3G but I hear its from the IMEI, so what if I use an android phone thats not from t-mobile, would that work with the 9.99 plan?

p.s. sorry for the long explanation.:D

Advertisement
  2. Russ Dill

Russ Dill Well-Known Member

My Galaxy does, for now, but T-mobile is free to change that at any time.

3. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

this might help (not really)
    I was thinking of buying a mytouch and putting it on the at&t network
    I asked the customer service at at&t whether it would be possible or not, he said yes I can, and that they'll charge me for a data plan too.
    I wanted to get it withought a data plan. that wasn't an option at at&t
    I asked him "what if I get a free phone and switch the sim cards?"
    he answered me with a long explanation about how they can tell it's a smart phone because I'll be receiving "higher end data" when I should only be receiving "lower end data"
    his explanation took several minutes.
    I replied "oh, I thought I just wouldn't get any of the features I'm not paying for."
    he paused for a few seconds and said "hhhhmmm... maybe, I'm not sure. I only work in marketing."

annoying right?
    anyway, I know for a fact that the phone will work withought a data plan if it's already activated.
    I also know that (with enough arguing over the phone) you might eventually get them to not give you a data plan.
    but they're not really good about it.

basically, you nag the customer service until they do it for you.

4. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Any unlocked phone should be eligible for AT&T's "MediaNet" plan ($15/mo.). I called about the Nokia e71 (unlocked, not AT&T's branded e71x) and the customer service rep "checked their system" to see if it was eligible.

Whether its a phone from another carrier, I'd just call their provisioning department, or again, customer service, to see if its eligible.

I'll be ordering a Milestone sometime this week, w/the intention of doing 500 min./mo and the $10 "web2go".

5. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member

i may be off on this but i was told the freqs that tmo uses for 3G are different than everybody else's - ie 1700/2100 vs 850/1900 which means you won't be 3g capable using a tmo phone on at&t network - but you will be paying for 3g data svc

you might want to rethink yur plans