Will Android 2.0 come as automatic update?

Last Updated:

1. exit(-1)

exit(-1) New Member This Topic's Starter

My Android 1.6 says "Your system is currently up to date" (Settings - About phone - System update). Using T-Mobile Mytouch 3G.

Where does it check if updates are available (T-Mobile server, Google server)?

Will this feature automatically upgrade my phone to Android 2.0 as soon as it's available for this hardware?

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Normally T-Mobile will just push an update file to your phone... and you will see a message asking you if you should install now or later.... if you select later ... then you should be able to go back later and then click the check for updates ....

T-Mobile gets the update from Google.

3. Burdenvs

Burdenvs New Member

I work for sprint and have the HTC Hero, as far as what's going to happen, with Sprint, there will be an update for the 2.1

Yesss it will be skipping the 2.0, and just update your firmware once a week, until the update is up for grabs.

4. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Lucky you.. my mytouch 3g says up to date with 1.5 still. Wonder how long til it notices that 1.6 is out there.

5. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

You didn't happen to make a wrong turn in Buffalo and end up on the Rogers network? Now it thinks it is a Rogers Magic and you're forever stuck on 1.5.
    poor us....

:p

6. Octavian

Octavian Member

When I first purchased my phone it said that the system was "currently up to date" then about two days later it told me 1.6 update was available for download. It did this automatically.

7. DaveDroid

DaveDroid Member

I just got mine yesterday and tried a few times to pull an update down from the ether, but it said it was up-to-date. I woke up this morning to find a message asking me if I wanted to update it. So apparently it does it when it feels like it. :)

8. sensesfail99

sensesfail99 Well-Known Member

I activated my phone at like 1pm and by about 7pm that night it was prompting me to update :)

9. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

if only they would surprise us all with an auto 2.1 update! grr

10. sensesfail99

Well Im new to tmobile and the android system, but from what ive read it seems like automatic updates are the perferred way for your device to be updated. I hope its automatic because to me thats way easier than downloading the update to your comp and then tethering and transferring... my old bb pearl i use to have to do that to update the os/firmware.... the newer blackberries mostly offer the ota pushed update!

11. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

it will def be an ota update..thats assuming they give it to us

12. happyfeet

happyfeet Member

WHEN?!?!?! is the question WHEN?!?!?! i hate this suspense! come on tmo!!!!!

13. ChainSaw

ChainSaw New Member

HF you should check today again. I just received my MT3G yesterday and around 1 am it updated to 1.6

14. sensesfail99

chainsaw were all waiting on the new update. 2.0 or better....

Has anyone googled android 2.1 and checked out the features it is suppose to change? I googled it earlier and i hope it does everything that page says it will :)