Will Android 2.1 bring pinch to zoom to Moment?Support

Last Updated:

1. jephdood

jephdood Active Member This Topic's Starter

I think I read somewhere that the hardware is multi-touch capable.. so, pinch to zoom should be do-able with software, yes?

Does anyone know (for sure) if the upcoming Android 2.1 release will bring that to the Moment?

Advertisement
  2. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

That would be cool if the screen is multi touch. Then I can throw in my friends face with his iPhone. Really the only thing the iPhone has over the Moment really (I could really care less about it though.)

3. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

4. jephdood

Yup..

I've seen it on other android phones like the Nexus One (in vid), but I want to make sure it's going to be implemented on the Moment. I'm thinking about picking one up, but I gotta have that feature. HTC has it enabled in their SenseUI for phones like the Hero, but the Moment is faster and I also need the physical keyboard that the Moment offers. So, if it'll have pinch-zoom eventually, it would really be the perfect phone for me (Sprint).

5. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Any and all capacitive touch screen devices have the capability for multi-touch functions. It's the code that has to written to support it. Our hardware is up to speed for it, the software, not so much.

6. jephdood

With 1.5, yes. 1.5 really is kinda bad. That's why I'm hoping 2.1 takes the phone to that level. Just need confirmation of that, and I'm pulling the trigger. But, I have less than a week left to trade in my current phone, and I'm afraid we won't know the answer by then. I'm speculating that it will because the hardware supports it and other phones have been seen with it, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

7. SmokinPiff

SmokinPiff Banned

kind of feel the same way... it would be cool just to say the phone can do it, but personally I really could care less too.

8. jephdood

Guess it's one of those things you just get used to using, and then you need it from then on. Anyway, I hope it'll get done in 2.1. Just need confirmation.

9. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

It all depends if Samsung decides to add the feature or not

10. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

The way I'm looking at it; if the competition between apple and google continues to escalate like it has been, I'm seeing all kinds of multiple touch input making it's way into our phones. Its been mainly because apple corp. took the 4 year old approach to things, and basically said: "Nunh unhh! We called it!!" Then basically hid behind paperwork on that. Now that we all realize multi touch isn't really something you can 'own', I feel that google will just hike a leg up on them and let the rivers flow by implimenting it on our devices.

11. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member

ya, is it early 2Q yet?

12. vanstrien

vanstrien Member

I'll never understand what the big deal is with pinch to zoom. I actually don't want it Google Maps or a web browser as I find it easier and faster to double tap or use the zoom-out button.

The only argument for multitouch I've appreciated is that the keyboard is easier. And having heard the argument I've never experienced the problem the apple fanboys say exists, so its somewhat defunct.

SoulTerror, you need to upgrade your friends...

13. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

The pinch to zoom could possibly be useful within the web browser. I also think it's kinda need when looking at photos.

-SF

14. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

He's more of a co-worker then a friend, but he loves his iPhone. He still hate's Mac's though.

15. AlkiDweller

I thought that once you got an Apple anything, you soon turned to Apple everything, to the exclusion of everything else not Apple.

16. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

i love my ipod touch, but hate apple anything so that clearly is false. as for pinch to zoom, it is an OPTION people if it's implemented no one is going to force you to use it... and i think google will put it in there for all 2.1 devices because they are at ware with apple and what a better way to smite them then to steal "their" technology and use it WIDELY on all your devices...

17. SirCheese

SirCheese Well-Known Member

Anything apple huh? But you use an IPOD....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

18. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

yes that is my point, it is the exception to the post above stating that just because you own ONE apple product means that you will soon love ALL apple products. the ipodtouch is a DAMN good mobile media player, but i absolutely hate all other apple prducts, i'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks this

19. AlkiDweller

It was meant to be funny. Sometimes I think Jobs gets his customers from voodoo witch doctors. [that was meant to be funny too].

20. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Has anyone with the 2.1 leak annd root been able to get multi touch functionality on their browser?

21. dwolf312

dwolf312 Well-Known Member

Nope we've tried almost every browser and still nothing.

22. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Dang. Even the g1 can use multi touch if rooted... :(

23. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

Samsung will only enable it if Apple loses their lawsuit.

24. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member

against HTC? I don't even think that multi-touch or pinch to zoom is included in list of patents. And that puppy's gonna go on for at least a couple of years.

25. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member

if you guys arent aware of it you might try out XScopes version of multitouch. His system only uses one finger and works pretty well in his browser. It is based on 2.0 as it was developed. I patiently read and watched as he worked on the app but it wasnt looking like a 1.5 version was going to happen. Ive loaded it as of yesterday and im liking it. It is only for the web, not your basic picture viewing.