Will Android 2.1 have...

Last Updated:

1. Mrdroid921

Mrdroid921 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A newer keyboard?. After watching some of the videos of the Nexus one,

it seems like there will be a new keyboard, unless its just a skin for that phone only.

How many think we will see a new keyboard?

Advertisement
  2. guitarevan07

guitarevan07 Active Member

Nope. 2.1 has already been ported from the nexus to the droid. You have to root your phone and follow a bunch of instructions, but I have 2.1 on my droid now

3. Mrdroid921

So then I guess that keyboard must just be skinned for the Nexus one?

4. guitarevan07

Same keyboard on Droid as 2.0

5. dB Zac

dB Zac Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the video you speak of but since HTC made the phone it could be the HTC keyboard witch is one of the best if not the best on screen keyboard for android

6. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

It's probably just a skin. I honestly didn't even notice until you pointed it out since I've had Better Keyboard on mine for so long.

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, but, I hope not! After 5 weeks of heavy use, I'm getting very comfortable on the DROID's 3 keyboards. And the TalkToMe Keyboard app makes a wonderful addition to all three.

8. Mrdroid921

9. brocja01

brocja01 Well-Known Member

Where do you guys get these keyboards for the droid? They in the market place? Do you have to "hack" it in there?

10. Mrdroid921

So what do you guys think who have seen the video now?, skinned? or

new keyboard?

11. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

When he first started typing in the browser, it appears to be the same keyboard and not skinned so I'm not seeing any difference.

12. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

My comments below are from the perspective of the compact qwerty format provided by the third-party keyboards listed below...

Better Keyboard is sold on the marketplace. It's OK, but requires a lot of work (adding words to dictionary) to make it usable. It's guesses are quite bad in in stock form. (For example, typing the keys for "for" defaults to "doe and Doe as the first two choices." There are many other inexplicable default choices that just don't make sense. <eek!>

Links to link to the HTC keyboard were available in this forum a while back, I believe in the Samsung Moment forum. It's quite good - again, I'm using the compact qwerty format. If you're looking for a compact QWERTY keyboard and can find that you'll be in very good shape on the Droid.

There's also Cootech's Touchpal (the best keyboard, IMHO, but it's off the market while Cootech is working on an OEM deal, and the only versions available were a 1.0 that has no customization/settings available, and 1.1 that wasn't formatted for the high-res Droid screen to it's too small to use). Touchpal is not expected back for several months at latest info. But when it does come back it should be a giant killer among keyboards...the WinMo version is killer...

You should also look at the "swipe" style keyboards - like Shapewriter...I'm using Shapewriter now and am liking it more every day, and at this point am feeling it's more and more likely I won't go back to a "tap" style keyboard.

BTW - The keyboard in the video above looks just like the stock Android 2.0 full QWERTY keyboard, I didn't see any differences...

13. guitarevan07

Dudes, stop giving people false information! 2.1 on the droid will NOT have a new keyboard! Don't make me post a video to prove it

14. vincentp

So, just for the heck of it, I went back and tried the default keyboard again. I've had it replaced with Better Keyboard almost since I got the phone. I just figured I'd go back and see what I was missing - now that I can type faster on a touch screen.

Wow! It's actually better than better keyboard. It flies. No wonder I didn't like the touchscreen. BK was always lagging and not registering key presses. I thought that was just the phone, but apparently it's the app. Back to the standard Android keyboard for me. I just typed out a whole paragraph twice as fast as I would have on BK with no errors.

15. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I don't have the location settings to get an azerty keyboard, so I'm not sure. I only have English and Spanish, and they're pretty much the same keyboard.

16. Mrdroid921

Ok guys, sorry for being a noob here. But if that is in fact the stock keyboard, why is there no gaps on the left and right side on the second row?

(Am i missing something here?, is there more then one on screen keyboard on the Droid?)

17. Mrdroid921

If you look at the video at around the 1.43 mark, you can see there is

no gaps on the second row to the left or right like the stock keyboard.

18. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

And where has anybody said a new version was coming?

19. eclipsed4utoo

The standard keyboard was fixed in the 2.0.1. I have been using it more and more since the update.

20. vincentp

Apparently! It's awesome now.

21. eclipsed4utoo

Virual portrait
    Virtual landscape
    Physical

22. Mrdroid921

Well I get that, but I meant more then one style of the on screen keyboard......

23. BonJoviGirl

BonJoviGirl Well-Known Member

take a good look at that keyboard the letters are in different places as well as the comma key is a mic key and the go key is an OK key it is a different keyboard.

24. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

The mic is for speech to text. In 2.1, you can just press the mic and talk and Google's servers will convert it to text (as best as it can).

It's just a minor change to the keyboard, but it works in all programs (as opposed to only for searches in 2.0/2.0.1)

Still, I find Swype to be much better, so I'll stick to that.