Will any micro-usb car charger work?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. bkosborne

bkosborne Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking for a cheap alternative to Sprints official micro-USB charger. It's friggin 35 bucks - but I try to stay away from non official ones because I don't want to fry my phone.

Is it safe to use any other one?

I'm specifically looking for one with the cord attached and charges the phone while it is on. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. c21re217

c21re217 New Member

Yes, I believe any micro usb to cig lighter will work I bought 2 off od fleabay for .99 ea, shipped and they work great

3. I want my EVO

I want my EVO Well-Known Member

Yes you can use any Micro USB ended charger. The voltage is the same its just a different end point.

I have so many mini USB chargers between my PC and GPS/Car that i went to amazon and bought some mini to micro adapters. It was a penny and like $2.00 for shipping.

Works like a charm and have had no issues with it other then when using the adapter on the USB cord to my PC that it wont recongnize it and allow me to use it as a disk drive. Which is fine when im at work because all i need/ want it for is to charge.

If interested just do a google search for "mini usb to micro usb adapter". From there shop around.

inflewence likes this.
  4. FestoKGB

FestoKGB Well-Known Member

This might not fit as you described but I think it should work well for you. I purchased the Zagg Dual USB Car Charger (ZAGG | Dual USB Car Charger) and I bought a bunch of micro usb cables from monoprice ( USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable - 6ft | USB 2.0 Cables - Micro-B Type)

The Zagg works great because I can charge my EVO while my wife charges her Blackberry and since I can use any usb cable I want, I can charge other devices as needed.

The price was right for the Zagg as well. It's $14.99 but here is a 40% off code to use if you want. The code is: f3yb8g The usb cables are only $1.22 each.

5. bkosborne

Festo, Thanks! I did exactly that!

6. inflewence

inflewence Member

I bought one from 5 below for $4 and it has the usb cord. It works great but the cord won't do anything but charge if I use it in the pc. (what did I expect for $4)

I had one for the same price from the same store for my touch pro 2 for like a year and it was going strong, gave it to the person I sold my TP2 to.

7. DHAndroid

DHAndroid Well-Known Member

Anyone will work however the new Androids require a 1amp charger and most older phone or micro usb cables people have from their old phone are 500-700mah. Also most sold on ebay are 500-700mah.

This one may work..like most sellers they do not state the current. Could be a dual 1amp which is 500mah per side or a dual 2amp with 1amp per side??
    [​IMG]For HTC Droid Incredible Dual USB Car Charger - eBay (item 260616938991 end time Jul-08-10 23:36:05 PDT)

This guy sells a dc charger & specifies 1amp for 3.00
    [​IMG]***Car Auto Travel Charger for HTC Evo 4G Sprint*** - eBay (item 150457089938 end time Jun-29-10 22:00:17 PDT)

This is a true 2amp dual 1amp charger. These are sometimes on Ebay for 5.00 each & Walmart for 25.00 each
    http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Dual-USB-Car-Charger/dp/B000RYSU7O/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1278273374&sr=8-3-fkmr1

One for 5.00 but seller does not specify amperage
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Scosche-Dual-US...ewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a5bba2cb1

using a 700mah charger while using the phone will take almost twice as long to charge compared to a stock 1amp charger

8. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

NO! they won't. The car charger I was using with my Blackberry Tour wouldn't power my EVO. It would work for a few seconds, sometimes a couple of minutes, then cut out. I replaced it with this one from monoprice.com, which works perfectly.

$1.78 for 1, $1.70 for 2-9, and no having to deal with crappy sellers on fleaBay.

CA_SteelersFan likes this.
  9. Neplusultra

Neplusultra Active Member

Any microusb connector will work, that's why its usb. I use a blackberry charger at work, and an old random microusb car charger I found in my house. No idea where it came from.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.

10. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Our phone battery is like a zombie; it didn't care where or how it's getting it's next meal, it just wants the juice out of micro usb cable, much like zombies want the brains straight out of our skulls.

11. Mr.Transistor

Mr.Transistor Well-Known Member

needs to put out one amp or it is not worht your while. aka 1000 mah(milliamps)

12. eirrom

eirrom Well-Known Member

That is not correct. I just bought 2 car chargers / 2 home chargers that were compatable for the EVO and many other phones. They do exactly what some others had mentioned earlier. The charging lite goes on for about 5 seconds the it goes off and the charging stops. They do not work.

I was just on ebay and all the chargers seem to be compatable with many phones. I cant find specific EVO chargers. I hate the thought of buying OEM chargers from Sprint.

13. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

Any micro usb connector will *fit*, but it doesn't mean the charger at the other end of it will work with the EVO. There's more to USB chargers than straight power, they talk data (at least the least crap ones do) so they avoid things such as overcharging.

14. DHAndroid

DHAndroid Well-Known Member

Put links to ones that will work some posts up..Some cheap some more $$ but way cheaper than OEM

15. lopezbnj

lopezbnj Well-Known Member

16. Mr.Transistor

Micro usb is a standard. it is likely that any one you buy froma major reatailor(sprint, wal-mart, the shack) would follow the standard and therefore put out the right power on the right pins and also transceive the correct data hat is involved. it is also true that if you find one on ebay for realy cheap or unbranded it may just have the micro connector and not follow the ieee standard... which could be bad for the device.

17. RedWingsFan

RedWingsFan Well-Known Member

I used my Blackberry OEM car charger for my Tour this weekend while traveling. I had Sprint Navigation running and it was charging it no problem. 500(ma, mma, or whatever). Didn't charge fast, but it did charge it.

18. shandroid

shandroid Well-Known Member

I bought a cheap usb charger and used my own usb cord and it didn't work but worked on my gf's pixie

19. bkosborne

Okay does anyone know where I can get a 1amp micro-usb cable on AMAZON? I already bought this: ZAGG | Dual USB Car Charger, but now I need the cable. I'm looking on amazon because I already have a few items in my cart I'm looking to purchase.

20. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I've purchased 3 generic micro USB chords from ebay and ALL of them work perfectly.

21. overclock

overclock Well-Known Member

I ordered these from monoprice and they work awesome.
    For only $0.97 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 3ft | USB 2.0 Cables - Micro-B Type

22. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

I bought the ebay $6 'shipped' kit that includes a 12v cig charger, A/C wall wart charger and a micro USB cable.

They all work perfect with my 2 EVOs.

I have seen where the A/C wall-wart with a USB jack in it will not charge the Evo via a micro USB cable. There does appear to be a power requirement to charge the Evo. Luckily the cheap ones I got seem to be working.

My TP2 charger fast charges the Evo when I swap the mini USB cable for a micro USB cable.

23. FestoKGB

FestoKGB Well-Known Member

The Ferrite Core ones are 3ft but the ones linked to in my earlier post (also from monoprice) are 6ft and they work great. I ordered 6 and I keep one at my work desk for USB charging, two in the car for me and my wife to charge our phones with the Zagg Dual Charger, my wife has one with her laptop at home and at her work desk and I have another as a spare. All charge my EVO and my wife's Blackberry without problem.

24. Mr.Transistor

and to those people who say that they can charge it with less than the required amp. yes you can... not recomended at all. you will notice that things are going to start to get hot and you easily have put your device at risk of all sorts of bad pottential.
    if you look behind the bettery next to the ESN and the WiMax id there is a power requirement, 1 Amp this rating is there because the people who developed the circuits have been going to school for a long time and know that based on testing during the creation of it that is the minimum it requires for a nominal charge without cuse damage, heat and or fire .