Will being in a no service area drain the battery faster?

Last Updated:

1. Ashenor

Ashenor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I started a new job today, the training room somehow manages to get no service. My phone died in about 7 hours, I used it for about 10 mins total.

All weekend I got much better results, with it coming in and out of service do you think it's draining it faster? Only thing I had turned on was gps location. I would like to keep it on so I don't have to power it up on breaks and wait for any missed messages to come through.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Always! It's searching for signal all day long. That's killer on a battery. Just about as much as being on the phone. It's continually trying to communicate with a tower.

Ashenor likes this.
  3. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

FWIW, my Moto Droid, which was good for 24hrs of my normal use, drained in about 4 hours, from full charge, while at my mom's house. She has weak/no signal with VZ as well, despite being about a mile from (2) different Verizon stores. I think all phones suffer from increased radio usage when fighting to maintain/establish signal.

Ashenor likes this.
  4. Ashenor

Ashenor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, kind of what I feared. So any suggestions other then just turning it off?

5. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

6. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

You can turn off the network and just leave the phone on to use as a PDA/GameDevice, but other than that, no

7. pinoyxpryde

pinoyxpryde Member

i was in an area of town without any data service. plenty of voice signal but nothing data wise, went from 40% battery to 10% in about 2 hours :D

you can look in the network settings and see the mobile network constantly searching nonstop