Will carriers destroy the Android vision?

Last Updated:

1. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 19, 2010
    "It's not limited to Android devices, but it seems that increasingly Android more than other platforms is shipping with the worst mobile bloatware. It's a bad trend that's going to lead to consumer backlash and it's destroying the credibility of Google's Android vision."

Entelligence: Will carriers destroy the Android vision? - Engadget

2. Arcadia

Arcadia Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Yes, I can stand these heavily customized user interfaces. You don't see PC's shipping with customized UI so why do companies do it with smartphones? People want stock android, not touchwiz or motorblur.
  3. MdX MaxX

MdX MaxX Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I don't like all the skins, but there won't be customer backlash. The tech savvy people will know how to buy the phone with the UI they want, change launchers, and root and install custom ROMs. Those who aren't tech savvy probably won't realize that the Droid X, Evo, myTouch 3G Slide, and Captivate all run the same OS.
  4. darklide

darklide Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    "Hey, cool you have an Android phone!"

"Android phone whats an Android, it's a Motorola X, Duh!"
  5. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    The beauty of Android is that you *can* customize it to your liking, adding apps, launchers, widgets, etc - you can make it the device *you* want it to be. This same openness allows carriers and manufacturers to muck it up before it even gets into your hands. The more they do this, the more disjointed the Android experience will become, until there is no such thing as an Android experience.

Some time before getting my Droid, I had a Blackberry Curve. When I was looking at the Droid at launch time, I also looked at the Blackberry Storm 2 which had been recently released. One of the deciding factors was my prior experience with a Blackberry - I knew what the Blackberry experience was, and aside from getting my first touchscreen phone, I knew all I needed to know about the Storm 2. If I believed my Blackberry experience to have been positive, I would have gone with the Storm 2 without hesitation. However, when it's time for me to move on from my Droid, I'll have to look carefully at what's available, and see how the carriers and manufacturers have screwed things up. If there are any true Android phones left, I'll likely go in that direction, but if carriers and manufacturers continue in the direction they're headed, that won't be the case, and I could easily move to another platform.

I agree with the author of the article; Google needs to attach some requirements to Android. This should include non-removal of core features, easy removal of anything else, no restrictions on access to hardware components, and no blocking access to services by non-carrier/non-manufacturer apps.
    cr0wnest likes this.
  6. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    That's the reason why I don't buy carrier phones. With that said, I love touchwiz and hate the stock android interface.