• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will changing device firmware remove SIM hardlock?

Holoradius

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Hello!

I bought a Sony Xperia SP from eBay and the seller said it was unlocked. Turns out, however, that it is locked to Orange UK.
Without knowing this, I accidentally managed to get it hard locked. There are no repair shops locally that can unlock it.

I have been trying to sell it on eBay again but to no luck, so I am ready to start looking for other options.

I have searched for this and found that changing the firmware will not re-lock an already unlocked phone, but what about the other way around?
If I change the device's firmware to an unbranded one, will that unlock it so I can use any SIM?

Or are there any other options besides just throwing it away?

Thanks!

Yes, If you can find an international version of firmware that will flash, you may be golden.
Have a look at Sony XPERIA SP C5303 - Android 4.3 - firmware 12.1.A.1.201
if your phone is the C5303.
Be careful though, I just paste a link and not responsible if you make the wrong decision or if it isn't provider unlocked. The thing to research the most, is whether you are able to downgrade, be it easy or impossble. And is that C5303_12.1.A.1.201_CH chinese (CH) and if that is a problem.
If after giving some considerable search engine researching, the phone is the C5303 and you've got nothing to lose... it's your choice :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your quick reply!

So as long as I can find a working firmware for my device that is unlocked, I can use my carrier's SIM even though the device was hard network locked (i.e, I can't even unlock it with an unlock code)? That would be perfect.

Will, say, Cyanogenmod have the same effect?

Upvote 0
In the past I had a HTC Desire S that was locked to a provider. I flashed a European firmware that was branded and the SIM was locked. Later I found a European version that wasn't branded it was unlocked.
Honestly, I'm not sure. Think the lock is located in the bootloader. If the firmware is not branded and updates the bootloader...
Here's a read about it: What is Sim-Lock. Removing simlock
In your case, the legality is somewhat null, if what you said is true. I certainly don't condone unlocking for illegal purposes.

Reactions: Holoradius
Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't think any provider would be interested in helping unlock a phone you wish to use with another provider.

Go for it. If your game :)
Personally I would use the Sony XPERIA SP C5303 - Android 4.3 - firmware 12.1.A.1.201 once I verified it was the C5303 (check the sticker under battery if the system info doesn't tell you). But I would try the lower build Android 4.1.2, 12.0.A.2.254 firmware first to see if it flashes. Then do the Android 4.3, 12.1.A.1.201 firmware. It's easier to upgrade gradual with a chance of unlocking with a new bootloader then hit a wall trying to downgrade.

Nice phone btw. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: Holoradius
Upvote 0
I think I'll give it a try this evening! What are some of the risks of doing this? The guide seems pretty straight forward and Flashtool seems to be doing most of the heavy lifting.

As long as I backup my original firmware and start with 4.1.2 as you suggested, do I run a large risk of bricking the device?

Upvote 0
Thanks again for your input. Will let you know how it goes. Wish me luck. :)

I actually have an Xperia Z (got that from eBay as well, and that was truly unlocked!), bought the SP for my girlfriend. Since I got the Z I've been completely in love with Sony and am sticking with their products from now on! Getting the Z2 tablet soon, but this time not from eBay... ;)

Upvote 0
Hi! We actually decided to try to sell it to someone with an Orange subscription instead of going through all the fuzz, hence the silence here, but we couldn't get rid of it so I decided to try the other day for lack of a better option, but as expected, it didn't work. Should anyone have any thoughts about other options, do feel free to share. :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones