Will Droid be upgradable to 4G LTE?

Last Updated:

1. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Will Droid be compatible with 4G LTE when it become widely available, or will will we have to wait until Droid 2 running Android 3.0 on 4G, etc, etc, etc???

Advertisement
  2. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Well-Known Member

There are several posts. This is not possible because it lacks the hardware for that network. By the time it goes live anyway, the Droid will probably be almost 18 months old in my opinion.

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Like BigRed already stated it is not possible. For 4G they will need a certain type of radio inside the phone so it can use those bands. But 4G won't be "widely available" for close to 2 years.

4. Robfactory

Robfactory Well-Known Member

Sprint is the first company going public with 4g and none of their phones have it.
    They will role out q1-earlyq2 2010

5. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

what if you rooted the phone and installed the proper radio? would that work?

6. Robfactory

Robfactory Well-Known Member

For my understanding it's not a softmod, but hardware.

7. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I kind of figured, if really wanted either the IPhone on Verizon and/or 4G-LTE on Droid on Verizon, chances are if I get the Droid now, by the time 4G is widely available, or if really dieing for the IPhone, my Droid contract will probably almost be up by then.

It will be interesting to see what the next Droid 4G LTE phone will look like, it should only get better....

For now, I think the Droid on Verizon's 3G will be AWESOME!!!

8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

It's not that type of "radio". I am talking about the internal hardware radio that receives the signal from the cellular towers.

And Sprint's 4G is totally different, known as WiMax. Verizon will be using LTE which is the better choice, it can reach much higher speeds. The people who have 4G laptop cards from Sprint have said the coverage is very spotty even when you are within distance from the towers, leading some people to believe it is far from being ready for widespread use.