will factory reset help?

Last Updated:

1. jkmasi

jkmasi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok.... I'm trying to adapt to my X. I've had the Inc since launch, and it's been wonderful... except for a call quality and battery life. I DO like the call quality of this X, but otherwise it seems kind of clunky. My Inc is smooth and fast - never any lag. Everything is sharp, bright and instant. This X has lag, especially when adding a widget or shortcut to home screen, or scrolling through contacts.
    Even opening my imap email, the phone has to think for a minute, and texts seem to go out a little slower. I'm using the same apps that I had on my Inc, with the exception of the one to sync my contact pics which I did not need on my Inc.

Even though I just got it 2 days ago, it came with 2.1 and OTA'd to 2.2 right away. I'm wondering if a full factory reset will help with the lag I'm experiencing. What do you think? Is it worth it? Anyone find that it made no difference?

Advertisement
  2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

A factory reset helped a lot of us. You might try just clearing your cache first. If you have root permissions, you can just download an app for that, o/w you'll need to restart your phone. There's good directions here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/186672-everyone-updated-2-2-take-look-should-help.html

By any chance are you running an alternative home app, like LauncherPro? If so, you should switch to your stock home app, using Home Switcher or similar and remove any widgets from your screens as they'd still be running in the background, using up cpu time.

A factory reset means having to reinstall everything so you'd want to try other stuff first. Also, some apps have the option to backup or export settings to the sd card. If you decide to format that, you'll want to back that up as well.

jkmasi likes this.
  3. jkmasi

jkmasi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am using Launcher Pro Plus and I removed my widgets from stock home. I still have a few shortcuts on some of the screens, but that shouldn't matter should it?

Regarding cache - do you mean that I can clear the phone cache only if I have root access? Or that I can simply restart the phone?

I saw the directions for the full factory reset at the link you suggested. That's what I'm thinking of doing... but I would like to feel confident that it will actually help first. I did one on my Inc once, and by the time I backed everything up, went through the whole thing, and put everything back the way I liked it, it took several hours!

4. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I'd try just clearing the cache. If you don't have root you need to boot the phone with the home button depressed. The instructions for that are here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/186672-everyone-updated-2-2-take-look-should-help.html

If after a couple days (it takes a while for things to get back to normal after clearing the cache), you still have issues, then I'd reread the entire post. There are programs to backup your apps (like AppBrain) and many programs have a way to export your settings to make a reinstall easier.

I noticed that I get a FC (forced close) on a few programs after clearing my cache, but then things are good after awhile.

I think I'd try backing up my SD card, formatting it, then restoring stuff back to my SD card. Some people suggested formatting it helped them out. Much easier than a System Reset, IMO.

RE: the few remaining shortcuts, I did the same thing. I just removed widgets, not the shortcuts to apps I might actually use.