• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will flashing a factory image cause my phone to unroot?

ok thanks. I was going to try flashing the cataclysm rom and it says to flash a factory image first but I think I'll just do a clean flash and hope for the best.

I would follow the instructions from the developer. If atl4ntis says to flash factory images, there's probably a good reason.

I'm not sure you quite understand root. The cataclysm rom includes root (as do most all custom roms). Unlocking the bootloader, custom recovery, etc. is different than having root; though they usually go hand in hand. Even on the factory images, you could still root the stock rom by flashing superSU.

Flashing the factory images won't relock your bootloader. That can only happen if you choose to lock it with a command. You would; however, have to install a custom recovery again after flashing the factory images, unless you opt not to flash the recovery partition with the stock recovery.

It's totally up to you, but most devs have a reason behind their flashing requirements. As they say, if you choose not to follow the instructions, don't bother complaining about or reporting bugs.

Upvote 0
I just want to avoid wiping my entire phone. In another place it says to just do a clean flash. On this page it says to just do a wipe/factory reset. http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/development/rom-cataclysm-nexus-5-t2518660 I can't find the page now where it said to do a factory image.

I know cataclysm is no longer being updated but I'm not sure what else to try. DU and CM didn't work for me, even with a clean flash. I'm going on a trip for a family emergency next week and my phone has been acting up (for one example notification sounds quit working several times a day-something I need to have working when I'm away from home).

Upvote 0
The clean flash/dirty flash thing only really applies when updating to a new version of the rom you are already using. You are currently on a KitKat setup and there is a reason you need to flash the factory images before installing Cataclysm. It probably requires a specific bootloader/kernel version to work, and that may also be the reason the other ROMS wouldn't work for you.

I would suggest to you that you use Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

You can use the Flash Stock + Unroot option with No Wipe Mode enabled to upgrade to the latest available factory image for your device. Then after everything is updated you can use the root option with Custom Recovery box checked to install TWRP and root the device.

It's a really handy toolkit that will probably save you a lot of hassle from trying to do everything manually. It will download all of the files you need.

I would suggest though to go into your custom recovery and make a backup of System, Data & Boot. Then copy that backup to the PC before doing anything, just in case.

Upvote 0
I have 30 min left on the adb/fastboot for windows (I switched to a download manager) so I will let that finish, just in case I end up needing it, and then I'll download wug's and try that first. It's not the end of the world if my stuff is gone but I would prefer it to not be. I have restored from twrp so many times in the past 3 days it's not even funny. Seriously, not funny.

Upvote 0
I have wug's toolkit downloaded and installed. We'll be leaving for dinner soon but when I get back, it's on. thanks for the help. :D

Sounds good! The toolkit is fairly self explanatory but let us know if you have any questions. I'll be a bit preoccupied for some of the evening but I'll check in later when I can.

Upvote 0
well I have a problem already. dammit. I did the factory image, then rerooted using the toolkit. I appear to be rooted okay. but my home button doesn't work and when I hold down the power button I only get the option to turn my phone off, not reboot. How do I reboot into recovery?

also, I have no lock screen anymore.

eta: I was able to boot into recovery using the toolkit. I did a factory reset without wiping data and am now attempting to install cataclysm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well the apps stopped restoring for some reason. I also still can't just reboot into recovery like normal. I hope I"m not going to have to do a workaround every time. I might be away from my computer and need to restore an old backup or something.

If you haven't already,Install TWRP which will help with getting in recovery mode.
This is what I would do and if all this don't fix everything,I would re flash stock rom(image).

Edit: And you could try this app to get into recovery mode,Since you are rooted.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.qbanin.reboot

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
twrp supposedly installed through the toolkit. When I boot into recovery via the toolkit I see the twrp logo and buttons. I tried using titanium backup (pro) and it says it could not acquire root privileges. When I try to download any app it just says "download pending" even though nothing else is downloading or updating. I also can't open supersu even though according to the play store, it is installed on my phone.

eta: I finally got titanium backup's key to download and install, and supersu pro also downloaded and installed but I can't open it and titanium backup still says it could not acquire root privileges.

eta: apparently the base supersu app never installed. So I'm installing it now and hopefully things will start looking up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope I"m not going to have to do a workaround every time.

I just wanted to say that it's not a workaround. The stock Nexus only has power off in the power menu. Your custom ROM was giving you those extra options. You can always get to recovery by powering off the device and then hold volume down and press the power button. Continue to hold volume down until you reach the bootloader screen.

From there, use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select recovery.

Also, if you installed and rooted through the toolkit, it probably also installed this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=phongit.quickreboot

And if it didn't you can install it. Put it on your home screen and it will give you shortcuts to reboot to recovery, bootloader, etc...

Also, did you install busy box after rooting? I'm pretty sure titanium backup requires it on the build you are using. Open the busy box app (also installed through the toolkit) and hit the install button. Then try TiBu again.

Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0
I don't think it was needed on KitKat but ever since lollipop things changed a lot. Google has been doing new things to the framework of Android so a lot of new stuff happening that changed the way everyone was used to doing things.

You might need to enable USB debugging again in developer options. That's probably why you aren't getting recognized for adb. You returned to stock with the factory images so it reset all.settings on the phone.

Upvote 0
usb debugging was already enabled when I checked. I'm doing it all over again but using the latest stock image (which I didn't have downloaded before and it takes forever through the toolkit).

after returning it to stock image before, I rooted it again, including twrp. Does that add adb/fastboot?

also it keeps changing usb to charging only. I change it and it keeps reverting. How do I make my changes stick? When it's on charging only my computer isn't recognizing my phone at all.

Upvote 0
after reflashing the newest stock image, it needs to be rooted again but it automatically started downloading my google apps. I didn't even have to sign in or anything. I feel like it didn't flash. it says build number MMB29V so it must have. So I guess I need to let the google apps redownload before I root again. I am giving up on cataclysm or anything else (I'll just keep stock marshmallow) but still want to be rooted to use titanium backup and greenify and other apps like that.

Upvote 0
This is confusing to me. It says I may need to uncheck mtp but when I do, and my phone is connected to the computer, the computer doesn't see my phone at all and it's as if it's not connected.

so anyway I updated my drivers (even though there was no yellow triangle and it said my drivers were already up to date) and it still says adb recovery device not found. I am clueless as to what to do next. I can't restore my titanium backup without root. I can't root. I guess my only option is to try to restore my twrp backup and hope that works, and start again tomorrow.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones