will Galaxy I5700 Lite/Spica get android 2.2Support

Last Updated: 2011-03-07 11:33:40
  1. t1279k

t1279k Member

HI

Now that 2.2 android is out will Galaxy I 5700 get 2.2 upgrade. What do you guys think.

Advertisement
  2. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

its all down to samsung and how many phones they bring out in the mean time
  3. Beerkan

Beerkan Well-Known Member

Android 2.1 came out in January 2010. We got the first experimental 2.1 firmwares on the Spica end of Feb. Expect something late June/July.
  4. rusky

rusky Well-Known Member

I read that they consider the i5700 too old. Not sure why though as it's only a minor update.
  5. goomba

goomba Active Member

Right, saw that in another forum too. I honestly don't consider this phone old at all. Maybe we should start a petition to get 2.2 for the Spica.
  6. t1279k

t1279k Member

How can the phone be too old when it is not even a year old and hardware is good enough to support it. the whole point of going for an android is that we can keep getting os updates. It would really suck if we cannot do more than 1 update. Samsung should support a phone for atleast 2 year or else what is the point buying such costly phones if it supports only one upgrade. We should petition and get 2.2.

if someone can post a petition link it would be great.
  7. adbaby89

adbaby89 Member

No Froyo for us i guess :(.... afterall so many new models coming through....also our RAM/ROM both are limited....and also if we get 2.2....i m sure the i7500 owners would demand 2.2 also!!...so cleaver Samsung would ditch us...i just hope that they gives us the PROPER 2.1 version with better drivers...so atleast we can play our games :)
  8. nopol10

nopol10 Member

9. adbaby89

adbaby89 Member

10. nopol10

nopol10 Member

Which is why I included one of the sentences in the petition body, haha.
  11. sipart

sipart Well-Known Member

12. Punisher18

Punisher18 New Member

13. goomba

goomba Active Member

Signed. It's not that we're crying foul too early--we're just being proactive.

Plus Samsung is known for abandoning FW updates soon after their phones hit the market. I think the reason they came out with a 2.1 update is because they promised everyone that it will come out. They didn't really say anything about 2.2 so...
  14. Gurdeep.Singh.Mander

Gurdeep.Singh.Mander Well-Known Member

According to samsung-firmware.webs.com, samsung is testing froyo 2.2 upgrade for spica i5700.

So... fingers-crossed ! :D
  15. confabber

confabber Active Member

Where did u hear that ? Samsung-firmware.webs.com I believe is not official. Any official word on this ? I'll be very glad if it happens but to be frank I doubt there will be an official Froyo for Spica
  16. rainor94

rainor94 Well-Known Member

Samsung Firmware World • Login
  17. goomba

goomba Active Member

18. casperjones

casperjones Member

Why won't we get 2.2. Simple SAMSUNG IS SHIT!! I'm never buying Samsung again. Ever. Not TVs, nothing. There is STILL no 2.1 update. 3D graphics don't work on the Spica. Shit phone. Shit company.
  19. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

goomba - Leshak is trying to make a 2.2 version for the spica.

This is what he's got going so far...

Work:
    Screen
    Touch
    Keys (but for unlock use "turn on/off" key!)
    GSM - (no sound yet), but you call , and send/recv SMS
    GPRS/EDGE/3G (you can add your APNs manualy)
    Vibrate
    SD card / USB Mass Storage (thanks to mik_os)
    Wifi (thanks to golecpch)
    Google services (tested: GMail, Market, Contacts, Calendar)

Don't work:
    Audio
    SD card
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    GPS
    Sensors
    Camera
    etc...

For a work in progress that's pretty awesome. If he can get it running completely and stable I'm gonna upgrade. I like his Samdroid mod since I don't have all that stupid Rogers bloat that I don't need.
    dangarr likes this.
  20. dangarr

dangarr New Member

[Dev] Android 2.2 Froyo for Samsung i5700 Alpha.2 (+GPRS/3G/WiFi) [11.07.2010]
    sudeep22s, svkndv and Megs like this.
  21. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

Thanks for adding the link. I obviously wasn't thinking when I posted the rest of it up. Wish I could say it was lack of sleep....lol
  22. sb91

sb91 New Member

23. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

PMSL, they havent even released 2.1 for the majority of owners yet!
  24. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

it would be nice to have 2.2
  25. Cruden

Cruden Well-Known Member

Not true, my 3d graphics work amazingly well.