Will Gingerbread 3.0 be the last update for the Droid X?

Last Updated:

1. D_Generation_X

D_Generation_X Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering. I know there's no info out. As a first time Android user I'm not sure what the typical lifespan is for these devices. Thoughts? :)

Advertisement
  2. lakai113

lakai113 Well-Known Member

3. D_Generation_X

D_Generation_X Member This Topic's Starter

You know, Honeycomb and then Ice Cream. Any hope for these over our 2 year contracts?

4. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

Android has said that after GB they will go to a once a year release cycle...

So I'd say after GB the X is done....

5. joshstine10

joshstine10 Active Member

im not sure where google said that.. but its likely that by the time we can upgrade in 2 years it wont matter. gingerbread better not take months to come to the droid x. its the best phone. forget the nexus one

6. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

7. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

I think because so many people bought the X we will see honeycomb.
    The X is the flagship now(not the d2) and like its og droid predecessor
    it will be kept up to date until a suitable replacement is made. This is a top tier phone, Verizon's
    Alpha male to this point. They need to keep this bad mofo up to date.

And think of this, if the iphone is indeed coming to big red, motorola is gonna do whatever it takes to keep people buying their android phones.

8. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I think Gingerbread will be the last update we see on the DX. Motorola has already said that they are going to end of life the DX March 2011, and since Gingerbread is scheduled to come out end of year 2010, I think Motorola will have it ready for the DX around February, and that will be it for us. Sure, the DX might be Motos flagship device now, but probably won't be by then. Besides, with the announced EOL, that gives us a had stop on updates for it. I expect Gingerbread, and that's all.

9. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Well-Known Member

My gut feeling is we've seen the last OS update for out X's. Not patches maybe but OS updates. My reasoning is that with the hassles some customers have when upgrading, Verizon/Motorola/Google won't do it once they get the problems they've had with the 2.2 update fixed.

Besides by the time 3.0 could be made ready for our X's (remember the delays with 2.2?) Verizon will have LTE coming out and I'm sure I'll want their latest LTE flagship phone. Maybe the Droid Z?

10. wxman2003

wxman2003 Well-Known Member

Maybe not available for an unrooted X, but someone will make it available for a rooted X.

11. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

The problem is that major OS upgrades typically need kernel upgrades along with them. Without a cracked bootloader, we cannot implement kernel upgrades.

I would be mildly surprised if the X gets Gingerbread. Not totally shocked, but I somehow doubt Motorola's intentions to dump a bunch of time into the X with the smartphone market moving so fast.

wxman2003 likes this.
  12. HardKore

HardKore Active Member

End of life in march? Wtf!? If X gets 3.0 and 3.0 is standard for most of 2011 the. I understand, but why announce an end of life already? I know the tegra 2 device is around the corner, but that doesn't mean the X ia all of a sudden the G1...stuff like this bothers me about android. I love android to it's core, but I'm sick of having my phone be outdated immediately after purchasing it. My first Android device was the Hero and God knows it was hard to stick with that for a year especially after waiting 7 months for 2.1. Now the X is outdated. Ugghh

13. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

They announced the EOL date for the DX in July, right after I bought mine and while I was waiting for it to ship, LOL! I'm not going to sweat it, just because it goes EOL doesn't mean it will suddenly stop working and self destruct. And don't blame Android for this, this is Motorolas call, not Googles.

14. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Well, a couple things:

A) "End of Life" doesn't really mean what most people take it to mean. In this context, EOL simply means they expect to have a new flagship phone to sell and they will no longer be pushing the DX as their latest and greatest.

B) This has nothing to do with "Android." You are buying high end devices in one of the most rapidly changing electronics markets. What do you expect? Just because newer devices are available doesn't make your DX less functional than it was before they were available. Being "sick" of a device getting outdated is absurd - it's completely a problem with your perception. If you have personal trouble getting past the fact that you don't have the newest device, that's not the fault of Android or the market. If you want that problem fixed, just learn to be satisfied with what you have instead of envying everything else.

The electronics industry doesn't stop just because you'd like to have bragging rights on your phone for longer.

15. HardKore

HardKore Active Member

Woah woah easy there killer. I never said anything about bragging rights or latest and greatest. What bothers me is when new apps hit and they are only available for 3.x or 4.x and I'm sitting on a phone that I personally think is amazing, but because there is a new "latest and greatest" I get denied access to those apps. I'm sure that I'm more bitter than most because I was stuck with a Hero on 1.6 while the world got 2.0 and beyond. If you have only had a 2.0 device and beyond then I don't expect you to understand. If x gets 3.0 and there isn't an update to android for quite some time after that then I'm happy. Just don't give me 3.0 then 3 months later everyone else has moved on to 3.3 or whatever and I just get to sit and watch knowing perfectly well that my beast of a phone droid x can handle it. This has NOTHING to do with bragging rights...

16. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

I probably won't have the phone after a year anyway :/ they go obsolete so quickly.

17. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Andy Rubin said that to date all the OS upgrades have been to 'catch up' with the industry standards. That's why they've been coming so fast and furious. The thing about phones made to handle say 1.6 is that they don't have the hardware to support 2.2, much less 3.0. But he said 2.2 put Android at a level playing field with the rest of the smartphone industry, and that future upgrades will bring with them innvation, no more playing catch up.

You have to appreciate how young this technology is, and they've grown very, very fast. Now that they're no longer in a rush to bring us up to date they upgrades will slow down to once a year, which as you can imagine should drastically reduce the amount of bugs and the like that came along with the fast paced rate they were coming in. So if gingerbread is going to be the last upgrade until the end of 2011, then even if we (Droid X owners) can't upgrade to icecream (or whatever is coming after gingerbread), then most of us will only have about 6 months left on our contracts before we have a 'new every two' phone available.

And I can only imagine the hardware that will be inside smartphones released in the summer of 2012 (at least 2 gig processors)... but I would imagine we will be more than ready to upgrade by then. But BV is right, there's no way to stop the march of technology, it's going to happen whether we like it or not. There's no way that Motorola (or any other OEM) could have made the phones they came out with this summer future proof for the next 2 years, because that technology isn't available yet. The stuff that the phones released next summer will have in them isn't available right now. So that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Trust me I don't like it anymore than you do, but thats the world we're living in today. Cell phone tech is moving so fast you really can't expect any device you buy to remain up-to-date for your entire 2 year contract. It would be nice if they were, but that's an unrealistic expectation to have.

18. Ravenbrook

Ravenbrook Well-Known Member

If they do go to once a year updates I hope that they have all the bugs worked out when they come out. Nothing is more discouraging than expecting your phone to work with new functions only to find out it doesn't work as advertised, or even at all until you get a work around. I'd also like to see Google Police the Market a bit better and make sure the software there works properly without causing any issues.

19. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

At first I totally agreed with you. But then it occured to me, "I bet testicular cancer is just as, if not even more discouraging". Because here's the thing, even if they cut off the infected testi, and in the process save your life... you're still left with only 1 nut.

That's pretty dang discouraging if you ask me.

20. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

i agree. while things have been moving at a blistering pace, i think the software upgrades will slow down a bit. up until 2.2, many companies didnt allow android devices because of the lack of remote wipe and mandatory pin. now that they have started catching up to blackberry as far as email security goes, i think things will level off.

i'm sure the x will see gingerbread (whether that be 2.5 or 3.0 or whatever), but who knows if it will see beyond. either way, i think it will continue to function fine on most of the applications for the next 2-3 years, because i just dont think the os will change as much as it has since 1.6.
    but, what do i know.

it is super exciting to see how fast the tech is moving. to think about where android was just a couple years ago when the G1 hit the scene until now is really incredible. i can't even imagine where it will be in 2 years from now.

21. rwrife

rwrife Well-Known Member

I somehow doubt we'll get Gingerbread, but if we do I'm fairly certain that that would be the last update (minus any minor updates)

22. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

I think with 2.1 and 2.2 android OS finally became a stable platform for a multitude of processors and board cores. Think about how many different devices now use it and what their hardware makeups are. Its pretty impressive, not to mention all the connectivity requirements that it maintains.

So I think Rubin was trying to point out is that DroiDOS (it needs an acronym doesn't? maybe a poll) is finally mature and stable. And honestly I can't argue against that, minor bug issues aside. Its rather good at what it does, with so little by today's standards.

Gingerbread may be the last major update, but too many people bought DX's for moto to piss them all off by canceling support for it that soon.

EOL might mean they quit making the actual devices in the factory as the branded DX to see today. But I suspect they will support it for atleast another 2-3 years.

23. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

THERE WAS NO 2.2 DELAY! Motorola clearly said at the end of summer, and that is exactly when the 2.2 update came out. End of September is the end of summer. Not trying to be mean, but I am tired of people saying that it was delayed, and we waited so long. 2 months is not a long time to wait.

As for 3.0 I wouldnt be surprised if it was its last update. Considering Honeycomb will probably come out after my 2 year contract, or slightly before I can hold off. Plus the X is great the way it is now, so lets just enjoy them. :)

24. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

You know other than the upcoming minor fixes, what is 3.0 supposed to get us? Great point, this thing does alot more than I intended to do with it. And I don't think I'm done yet.

Honestly for me, the DX is the cross between a pad device and a functional pocket computer, oh and by the way it also makes calls. So yes its pretty bad azz as is. Could it be a bit better here or there. Well who doesn't want more speed, memory, space, etc etc.

But alas, its does just great.

25. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member