Will having 10s of Thousands of SMS messages slow down my device?General

1. Whoodah Thunkit

Whoodah Thunkit Active Member

i have all of my texts from the last 2 years or so and i usually restore them to my current devices.

i didn't restore them to my G Note 2 yet because it seems to have slowed down my Evo 4G, the last time i restored all my texts to it several months ago.

i use Handcent and after restoring all the SMS, there was a serious lag with the program.

is this because of too many texts? and if so, will the faster processor on the Note 2 do away with the lag?

thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Having that many messages will slow down your device regardless of processor, that last bit might mitigate by how much, but that's it.

You're forcing the software to wade through a lot of storage for anything that touches messaging. Constantly.
  3. roy5000x2

roy5000x2 Well-Known Member

I restored around 10k or so messages onto my Note II about a month ago.

A few things I've noticed.
    1. The threads would load up in no time at all
    2. Sending/receiving messages did not take longer than normal
    3. Exiting threads took quite some time the first few times. I think the phone was building a cache of each thread, and I set my thread limits to 1k messages and 50 mms.

Haven't noticed any slow down on the phone after getting past the initial phase of restoring my old messages. Give it a try if you want. Worst comes to worst, you can just delete them all.
  4. Whoodah Thunkit

Whoodah Thunkit Active Member

ok. i restored about 14,000 texts and it lags like crazy!

and sometimes it just timed out trying to open up certain threads.

it took forever to delete them.

they need to figure out how to keep all your messages without the program having to index thru all of the messages to operate. :(