Will Hero be capable to handle v2.0 effectively?

Last Updated:

1. fahadchaudhry

fahadchaudhry Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi
    As HTC announced that they are going to update Hero with the Android 2.0. I watched a video of G1 with Android 2.0. and that phone was messed up in terms of touch response, performance. Everything seemed to be in "slow motion". So, I want to know, Is Hero fully capable to handle v2.0 most effectively? It will show no lags?
    Right now I'm on 3 (UK) and my upgrade is due in Feb. My first choice is X10, if it comes on 3. If it doesn't then I intend to go for Hero. I am just a bit concerned about the effective compatibility of Hero with v2.0.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. n0v

n0v Well-Known Member

All I would say, I may gt shot down here by a few but my Hero is great on 3. At the worst you could always go to the current 3 version as it seems very stable.

However I'm pretty sure the new version will be even better, well everyone hopes so.

n0v

3. skimminstones

skimminstones Well-Known Member

your 3 version will still only be running android 1.5 though? The OP is asking if the heros hardware is capable if effectively running android 2 and above.

4. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Well-Known Member

The videos you have seen of the G1 are bad examples as they are poorly produced roms that aren't fully designed with the hardware they are being run on.

Android 2.0 actually includes a lot of streamlining that helps the OS to run faster on the 528mhz processor present in the Hero and other Android handsets.

HTC have had the Android 2.0/2.1 SDKs for long enough now, but I am glad they are taking their time to make sure that HTC's Sense UI runs smoothly on top.

I think it's only something to look forward to, but if you see Android 2 running on the Motorola Droid it runs perfectly smoothly...

Ben

5. pauled

pauled Member

The x10 is coming to 3uk soon, announced this week :)

6. buhsnarf

buhsnarf Member

Is the droid's CPU roughly comparable to the Hero's? The MHz seems similar but different processor isn't it?

7. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Yeah the droid's processor is effectively about twice as fast for the same MHz, so it's not really a valid comparison.

However, i would expect the hero to be able to run 2.0 perfectly well, and, as Bunjiweb says, 2.0 will include optimisations that should mean it actually runs better tham 1.5.

Also, would expect further optimisations to SenseUI.