Will i be able to update my previously locked Android phone?

Last Updated:

1. wankingweiner

wankingweiner Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi im thinking of buying an android phone, maybe the Bravo or Supersonic when they come out. Where i live though phones are extremely expensive when bought unlocked (which is what i need). I dont see the point of getting a Data plan because i dont plan on using 3G.

So if i was to buy a phone off ebay, which is said to be unlocked, would i be able to install updates? lets take the Htc Hero for example. It is tied to a carrier i believe, so someone on ebay unlocks it and puts it up for sale. If i buy it, and put my sim in it im sure it will work fine, but if i install the latest update (android 2.2 for example) will the phone get locked again? Will i even have the option of installing new updates?

The reason why i ask this is because my sister bought an unlocked LG Arena (previously locked to Orange UK) off ebay, and it is very buggy. The latest firmware updates are said to fix many problems but my seller said that installing this update will lock the phone again.

So will i have this problem with android phones too?

Look forward to ur replies.

Advertisement
  2. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Once unlocked it should stay that way.

You want Android without a data plan? Like buying a car and not wanting wheels on it!

3. wankingweiner

well im always around a wifi hotspot, so i dont really need 3g

4. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member

Exactly, I'm the same as you, always have a wifi connection. It wouldn't be worth it for a data plan

5. wankingweiner

so if i buy the phone unlocked then i should be able to install updates with no problem right? Just want to confirm this...