• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will I be sorry with 32GB?

DILands

Android Expert
Apr 8, 2010
King of Prussia PA 19406
OK - 1) I'm cheap, 2) I have JUMP on T-Mobile, so, this might (probably) not be a long-term keeper, and 3) I have an M8 (32GB) running Lollipop (or Lollipoop - which is what the phone has been like since the "upgrade"). I'm using 20.34 GB - and can probably delete apps that I never use.

I'm used to living on a charger - at this point - i want something NOT HTC - depending on the S^ - I might consider the LG G4 when it's released. I'm thinking I'll be fine with the 32GB version

OK - 1) I'm cheap, 2) I have JUMP on T-Mobile, so, this might (probably) not be a long-term keeper, and 3) I have an M8 (32GB) running Lollipop (or Lollipoop - which is what the phone has been like since the "upgrade"). I'm using 20.34 GB - and can probably delete apps that I never use.

I'm used to living on a charger - at this point - i want something NOT HTC - depending on the S^ - I might consider the LG G4 when it's released. I'm thinking I'll be fine with the 32GB version
Whether for yourself or whoever you pass the M8 on to - do a factory data reset. Your Android caches are probably hosed after the update.

Backup first with Helium Backup.

Good strategy for any Android phone, now or in the future. Including Samsungs.

The M8 on Lollipop is far from poop. Battery life is outstanding and performance is excellent - unless your caches are hosed.

Upvote 0
Mine has been horrible since the upgrade, obviously not a memory issue. At this stage, not going through a reset unless I'm keeping it, which I'm not...
At least try this, it won't lose anything.

Power off. Volume down while powering on.

Select HBOOT. Select Recovery. Wait a little while. Select clear cache. Select reboot.

That might be all you need. Easy. Life is too short to live with a buggy configuration.

And no idea why you're talking about memory issues lol. I wasn't.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
It's "Locked" all I can change is "Fastoot", "Factory Reset", "Simlock", "Check Smartsd","Image CRC", or "Show barcode"
This is a stock, non-Verizon M8 running Lollipop.

If you don't have Recovery, I'm at a loss.

1427470254746.jpg

I'm going to stop going off-topic here. Drop me a line if you want to pursue this.

I only intended to inform that the options are there for HTC and Samsung upgraders going for the S6. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That 23gb free after setup is consistent with other OEM offerings including the M8 and M9. So whatever is free on the M8 now will be equivalent on the S6. The Nexus devices have .9gb more free after setup since there is no OEM skin or preinstalled software included.
I know all of that. My point was simply that if you are already using 20GB then you actually have come close to using the space that would be available (and, in a reversal of the situation a couple of years ago, rival devices offer expansion for media which the S6 doesn't). So obviously it's up to DILands, but I'd be tempted to go for the larger capacity myself.

Upvote 0
Seem too small if already about tapped out for storage. If 23GB free you really have 22GB, since 1GB is the floor needed for Lollipop to function as designed and avoid app update issues.

From a selfish side, I hope the device gets dinged some with sales to cause a rethink on losing the sd. Samsung is touting sell-in numbers just as they did the S5 and then backtracked once analysts started asking for actual sell-through numbers to consumers. Sell-in numbers are truly worthless.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones