• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will I Incur ETF?

Alright, after more painful searching on AT&T's disorganized site, I found the answer to my own question.

In case anybody else is curious, this is the answer:
Question:
Does the early termination fee apply to each line on FamilyTalk or just to the plan itself? Answer:
Each phone on your FamilyTalk account has its own contract. If you cancel your service with us before the end of your contract term, you will pay an Early Termination Fee (ETF) for each wireless phone number associated with the account.

New and renewing AT&T wireless customers who entered into a 1- or 2-year Service Commitment prior to June 1, 2010, have an Early Termination Fee (ETF) of $175 less $5 for each full month of Service Commitment completed.

New and renewing AT&T wireless customers who enter into a 1- or 2-year Service Commitment on or after June 1, 2010, and include certain specified equipment, have an ETF of $325 less $10 for each full month of Service Commitment completed. Otherwise the ETF is $150 less $4 for each full month of Service Commitment competed.

Upvote 0
That is the correct answer :D

Now unless you just got a new device in the last month (which you need to return before the 30 days is up if you are planning to leave), you can be stuck with an ETF. You can do the math based on how long that line has been on the plan to see what the number will be.

Since you are the 3rd line on a family plan and assume the rest of the family plan is staying intact, you might be able to get AT&T to switch the dates with another line (assuming no one else on the plan wants to upgrade, etc).

You may also be able to get the fee waived, based on prior payment record, history, etc. After all they would want to keep the family plan rather than loose the whole family.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones