Will ICS OS Upgrade remove rootingSupport

1. tckosvic

tckosvic New Member

I have samsung captivate glide with android with OS 2.3.6 (gingerbread?). I've been a unix/linux guy for a few decades but am new to phone android OS. I am wondering if I root this phone and then upgrade soon to ICS will my rooting prevent upgrade or might I need to do the rooting again.

Perhaps it's best to just wait a bit, upgrade to ICS and then root.

Thanks for ideas,
    Tom Kosvic

Advertisement
    :
  2. idulkoan

idulkoan Active Member

if your currently rooted, it wont effect your upgrade to ics. BUT upgrading WILL take your root away. but there should be a way to root it on ics..
    my question is if I upgrade to ics on a unlcoked phone will it become network locked again?
  3. babelsquirrel

babelsquirrel Active Member

I just upgraded then rooted.

Rooting ICS was fairly straight forward for me. I used Odin to install CWMR. Then used CMWR to install the appropriate zip from here Superuser

Whole thing took maybe 15 minutes.

Usual disclaimer: If you break your phone it is your problem. This is just a rough account of what I did. Your results may vary.
  4. idulkoan

idulkoan Active Member

is updating to ics worth it? what are the bugs ? i ordered this phone, and it says its unlocked, so if I update to ics will the phone become locked again to at&t?
  5. babelsquirrel

babelsquirrel Active Member

Unlike with the first ICS upgrade that was pulled, I haven't noticed any bugs yet. The main advantage I see is the option to encrypt the /data partition.

Mine is unlocked by code. I purchased the phone locked to AT&T and then purchased the unlock code from someone several months ago. It remained unlocked when I upgraded. Has a T-mobile SIM in it right now.
  6. TVCCS

TVCCS Well-Known Member

As an FYI...I had my phone unlocked by code when it had Gingerbread. Updating to ICS did not remove the unlock...my phone is stock and not rooted.