General Will INC. be able to stream am radio?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cmantelope, Mar 19, 2010.

1. cmantelope

cmantelope Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    HI,

I am most interested in changing to a phone w/data pkg - so I can stream am radio when at the gym. (LG Chocolate, two years old - feels like caveman phone now)

Would the Inc. be able to do this? - And, would I need to download an app with a player? - or is there one standard with Android?

Thanks for all of your generous sharing of knowledge, this forum has become my secret addiction ;)

Advertisement

2. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    I will be able to receive FM broadcasts. The only way it will get AM stations is via an internet stream.

3. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Operations Manager
    Rochester, NY
    do AM stations still exist????

4. greggds

greggds Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Biotech
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    lol!

cmantelope, one thing you might want to keep an eye open for is the Sirius/XM app that is supposedly going to be released for Android in the near future. I am not sure what you're interested in listening to on AM, but a lot of that programming is covered on the stations available on satellite.

5. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Don't you have to pay extra to stream XM via internet or mobile app? No thanks. I already pay them enough for the radio in the car. I'll go with Pandora.

6. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Yes, you have to pay for their internet streaming/app.

Pandora/IHeartRadio/Slacker FTW! :D

7. greggds

greggds Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Biotech
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I definitely agree with that! I had just mentioned Sirius/XM as an alternative because the OP mentioned AM specifically. I don't know about you guys, but the only reason I would listen to AM is to find a specific radio show (talk). Here in Tennessee, AM for music garners bluegrass and dueling banjos. Not for me.

8. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    I use AM for sports broadcasts.

9. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    An "old" analog FM tuner doesn't really interest me anymore. I can't believe they still even make them. But a "digital", I guess it's called HD Radio tuner would be pretty neat, since most of the FM stations and quite a few AM stations are broadcasting digitally through HD Radio type signals in the Chicagoland area here. I also still listen to AM local sports talk radio stations.

10. hal1

hal1 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Moodio - 'nuff said. Google it

11. Shadow_Rider

Shadow_Rider Active Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Same here. Sports broadcasts, Sports talk, talk radio in general, etc.

I probably listen to AM as much (if not more) than FM these days. FM just isn't as good as it once was.

12. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    I agree with that. I wonder if these new HTC phones will have that capability, and if not what is the limitation.

13. Kountry05

Kountry05 Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    You can try grooveshark. Grooveshark - Listen to Free Music Online - Internet Radio - Free MP3 Streaming .

I am a college student and when I don't have my laptop on hand or iPod is about to die, i plug my headphones into the computers at the lib and stream any song i want. With a free account you can make as many playlists as you want that are saved on your account.

You can upgrade to VIP for 30 bucks a year and get the same service over android. Although Being a poor college kid I probably wont get it, just putting it out there for anyone interested.

14. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    The FM tuner in the Incredible is a huge plus for me. I go to Penn State football games and they broadcast play-by-play on a local FM station (used to be on AM). This works out perfectly because I can retire my little radio shack AM/FM tuner. One less thing to carry with me to the games.

15. cmantelope

cmantelope Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks everyone,

Yes, I like local am stations for talk shows/news - always about the time I am heading for the gym...have had sirius before - liked it - currently prefer Pandora for music that's not on my ipod

While at the gym - on whatever machine I am using - I currently have my ipod - and phone - thought about picking up a small radio, like I had when I was nine years old - just to get am when I want to - but then I thought it would be ridiculous to have a cornicopia of gadgets in front of me all the time - yes, I am a 43 year old mom & nerd :D

It would be INCREDIBLE to accomplish all that with one cool looking device!
    CM

16. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver
    FM Tuner is nice (would use at the gym for there TV broadcast while doing cardio) but I'd love an FM Transmitter. Some phones had them a few years ago and they just seemed to disaper as an option unless I've missed something

17. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    I agree. I'm tired of using a tape deck to get music to my car since I don't have an aux input jack. If it had that all I would need is the dock to get power to the phone. Though I'm pretty sure you still need headphones plugged in for FM radio reception.