Will it suit Canada's mobile system if I buy a Nexus s from US

1. Daskapital_yqs

Daskapital_yqs New Member

The issue is like this. Now im in a three years contract with Telus. But I want to switch to Nexus s. I want to know can I keep my plan and phone number, then switch to a new phone. My currently using phone is a blackberry with no Sim card slot. So can I transfer my phone number into a sim card? Im in Canada, where to buy Nexus s online is the best? I saw the price in Amazon is about $660, is this price good?

Advertisement
    :
  2. faithcry

faithcry Well-Known Member

Yes it works with all carriers as a phone but the 3g ONLY works with WIND and Mobicity.

edit: its coming to canada soon enough, might as well just wait, i heard march.
    Daskapital_yqs likes this.
  3. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

From what I've read, the only carrier in Canada that has a 2G/GSM network is Rogers, all other carriers are either CDMA or 3G only. Since the current Nexus S does not have compatible 3G frequencies (850/1900 mhz) for Telus's, you will not be able to receive calls or access the internet on Telus' network.

I recommend waiting for the soon-to-be released Nexus S with 850/1900 mhz 3G frequencies, often referred to as the "AT&T version". Rumor has it that it will also be released officially in Canada, so you won't have to worry about import duties or expensive international shipping.
    Daskapital_yqs likes this.
  4. Daskapital_yqs

Daskapital_yqs New Member

well, thank you guys. I wonder if nexus s has language options to choose, because my first language is not english. anyway i wish the 3g nexus s could be launched soon and it can also be released in canada.
  5. NunyaBidnez

There is a way to change the default language but only 11 of the most common European and Asian languages are available. Depending on your native tongue, English may be your best option.
  6. Benana

Benana New Member

I have the $35 friends and family plan with Mobilicity (Thanks to a friend)
    Last long weekend, I had $200 gift certificate to Bestbuy (US), so I went to Michigan with my wife for some shopping. Bought myself a Nexus S from Bestbuy (apparently BB sells them unlocked the only difference is with or without contract.)

For data connection with Mobilicity, the only setting is to "add" the Access Point Number (APN) which was easy to obtain when you call Mobilicity customer care.
    the green "3G" symbol shows up if you have done it correctly.

I love my new NEXUS S in Canada. The exchange rate is great for a purchase of a $529 Nexus S.

I think Mobilicity is having some kind of Valentine's promotion for $69 for 2 plans - not sure if it includes data though. I'll ask my friend on Thursday when I see him.
  7. NunyaBidnez

Did you have to pay Michigan state tax? If so, did you fill out the form for a tax refund when you went back to Canada? Also, did you have to pay import duty?
  8. neuromatico

neuromatico Member

My son purchased my phone from Best Buy online and had it delivered to his California address. He then shipped to me in Toronto by USPS in its original packaging (for about $20) -- all above board. It was delivered to the door and there was no import duty or additional taxes.

I signed up for WIND's Holiday Miracle (all you can eat for $40/mo.) and couldn't be happier.
  9. I am from quebec and has the nexus s since december with Videotron, using it with french it works really good! I recommend it to you!