Will it work in the USA?

Last Updated:

1. SEadeh

SEadeh Member This Topic's Starter

If I purchased the Desire from T-Mobile Europe, will I be able to use it for T-Mobile USA? Will the networks match? I dont wanna wait for it to come out in America, if it does at all.

Advertisement
  2. Mandrew

Mandrew Well-Known Member

It will work, but not on 3G.

3. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

I somehow wounldn't be surprised if T-Mobile US wouldn't trying to get it... since the Desire is essentially a reskinned Nexus, with Sense, but minus Noise Cancellation, it would be a no-brainer to have AWS 1700MHz on it (as it's 99.9% the guts of the Nexus)... Certainly less effort for HTC to make a T-Mobile US version, than it would be to do a CDMA version for Verizon or Sprint... All it takes is an agreement between T-Mo and HTC, which they already have the best HTC relationship of all the US carriers, with the Dash, Wing, G1 and MyTouch3G....

4. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

You wont get one from Tmobile UK/europe unless you take out a contract, which to do you'll a valid address over here and proof of ID & you live there

5. SEadeh

I can get it unlocked tho right? Thats what I was refering to. Anyway, if i wont be able ot use 3g on it, then i wont get it. Who knows if/when T-Mobile USA gets it. I am leaning more and more towards the N1. I really wanted the Desire tho.

6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

No, it'll be locked to t-mobile uk, and available on contract only. You'll need to break the contract, so be liable for the whole contract cost + any handset price.

7. Ghâshûl

Ghâshûl Well-Known Member

8. DrFunk

DrFunk Member

It will wok with 3G, actually. Australia is due to get the Desire, and they (Telstra) use the same 850 band that At&t uses. Next G: HTC and Telstra unveil Australia

9. SEadeh

I found sites where I can buy it unlocked. The site I saw was for $600. What is

10. Pyr0

Pyr0 Member

And MDA series..

11. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

12. cdmta

cdmta Well-Known Member

So much for it being $100. less than nexus.....

13. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

But they took out the second mic for noise cancellation to make it cheaper. ;)

Of course I've seen figures that says the Nexus One is only like $200 to make, so either way we are getting the business.

14. ray_smuckles

ray_smuckles Member

15. androiddude

androiddude New Member

I have a question about getting firmware/software updates... so if I buy the unlocked Desire at Expansys and use it in the US where none of the carrier supports this phone, will I be able to get updates directly from HTC through Wifi? Or not?

Thanks.

16. ray_smuckles

ray_smuckles Member

If its anything like my experience with an unlocked GSM Hero, you either wait for HTC to make an update available for download from their website (emphasis on wait), or you root your phone and head over to xda, modaco or any of the other modding sites and try out some of the custom ROMs that will inevitably become available.

17. androiddude

androiddude New Member

Thanks ray_smuckles. I live in Canada and my worry was that I wouldn't be able to upgrade since the Canadian carriers were not going to carry this phone (I thought I could only upgrade through the carrier's OTA updates).

18. PJD

PJD Well-Known Member

Sorry for my ignorance but If I purchase the Desire from the UK simfree/unlocked will it work on P.A.Y.G. in Spain

19. damuffinman

damuffinman Well-Known Member

Yes, because it's unlocked

PJD likes this.
  20. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

It should work fine

PJD likes this.
  21. ab9758

ab9758 Member

Hoping to revive this thread as I'm here in New York today with a) my unlocked UK Tmobile Desire, b) an activated Tmobile USA "Even more plus" unlimited email and web access account - which lets me cancel after a month @ $39 + $10 for a SIM card and c) a spare G1 Google phone.

Several days later of camping in the local TMobile store it's going from bad to worse. You need to realise that they have never seen a Desire before and all problems mean the store staff have to call Customer Service - as we do too.

In summary, all I've been able to get going is an EDGE connection (about the same as two beakers and a piece of string) and probably too slow for Google Maps etc to keep up with.

The 'breakthrough' came with the chap being talked through a manual set up of a VPN (in the Mobile Network settings). He used for Name - TMobile USA and for APN - epc.tmobile.com.

Battery out and reboot.

All of my wifi settings within the house are ok but the moment I'm outside, it's their EDGE service or nothing. (I haven't tried the 'free' TMobile hotspot connections that come with the package yet.)

I'm highly doubtful that data intensive apps such as Google Navigation etc are going to be much use, but the basics of emails etc should be ok.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to set up a VPN that will let me get onto their 3G networks or faster (the Americans don't have our HSDPA networks)?

22. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

I thought the HTC Incredible was an American version of the Desire with a few added Upgrades.

23. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Yeah, it'd be a great phone to get if you are able to jump onto Verizon's network...

24. ab9758

ab9758 Member

It's got a better camera and the body looks a bit clunkier than the Desire.

Where all of my problems emanate is - I think - the dual band frequencies which differ for the Desire from Europe/Asia and the USA.

The Incredible and the Nexus One appear to use different bands to us and I can't see to overcome this. HTC downgraded the Desire to save money but in turn restrict it to non-USA

25. ab9758

ab9758 Member

This is the review quote I came across
    "The Desire lacks both the active noise cancellation and the triband HSDPA/WCDMA of the Nexus One, making do with just dualband 900/2100. That means it’s not much use – at least in terms of high-speed cellular connectivity – outside of Europe and Asia; take the Desire to the US and you’ll be stuck using quadband EDGE or hunting for WiFi hotspots. HTC told us that dropping active noise cancellation was a price consideration, but that since it would only really affect voice dictation – which is currently exclusive to the Nexus One anyway – it wouldn’t make much of a difference to Desire owners."