Will it work on GSM/3G in Europe?

Last Updated:

1. acunningham

acunningham Member This Topic's Starter

I'm based in Europe but travel to the USA frequently. If I bought an unlocked EVO 4G when next in the USA, and brought it back to Europe, will it work on GSM for voice calls and 3G for data?

Advertisement
  2. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

Nope. You might be better off with the T-Mobile HD2.

3. acunningham

Thanks, but I'm not interested in a Windows phone. In that case, an HTC Desire it is then...

4. outoffocus

outoffocus Well-Known Member

sucks that the industry has figured out a way to create 'network zones' for smart phones. this limits our ability to buy unlocked phones in cheaper markets (US). is the phone radio hardware really different or is it software locked to the network?

5. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

No the Evo 4g is CDMA and WiMax only and really only US CDMA (compared to WCDMA. Does work in Canada I believe). Which means it has no SIM card and generally can only be put on the Network it was built for. People have success moving most phones to another CDMA carrier here or in Canada but that is dependent on that Carrier and the Original carrier. All CDMA phones have a built in ESNs which have to be registered on a carriers network to receive the Signal.

Well all GSM smart phones in the US come locked but usually you can get them unlocked pretty easily and then just throw a SIM in it. CDMA US phones can be "Unlocked" but it means something different. An unlocked CDMA smartphone usually means you can now install custom ROMS on them.. it has nothing to do with the network. So basically if you buy a Sprint phone on Ebay, for example, it will work on Sprint... and possibly Verizon, Telus, US Cellular, Cellular South, and a few other CDMA carriers if those carriers will allow the ESN to be activated or flashed to their network

Having said all this.... I don't think people will have much succes trying to get the EVO to work on any other CDMA carriers (My Opinion) and WiMax is Sprint only here (well and Clear)

6. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

wimax isnt us only... wimax has markets all over europe on the same freq's as the us so dont just generalize

7. sikclown

Didn't mean to imply that WiMax was US only... That (US) was meant for the CDMA not WiMax... And further down I meant that only Sprint and Clear were offering WiMax in the US. But now that you mention it yes there are other markets that use the same frequency but Sprint and whomever the other WiMax carrier would be would have to allow that device on to their network.. I will make notes in my original post.

8. ramanmilan

ramanmilan Well-Known Member

HTC evo 4g can be operated on 3G as well and the frequency for 3G is 2100 in America and in UK so it should work if you can get it unlocked.

i just found this info on the internet ask an expert before buying it.

9. acunningham

10. ramanmilan

here-http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

scroll down to united kingdom, usa to see the frequencies for 3G.

11. acunningham

ramanmilan, would you also have the link that says that the HTC evo 4g can be operated on 3G?

12. ramanmilan

13. acunningham

Unfortunately that page makes no mention of a SIM card, and without that it cannot work on GSM or 3G networks outside the USA.

Can anyone who owns a HTC EVO 4G confirm whether it uses a normal GSM/3G style SIM card or not?

14. acunningham

I also see no mention of GSM on that page, which means no voice calls when outside 3G coverage. I'm thinking this is a non-starter.

15. sikclown

Incorrect. The EVO 4g operates on CDMA at 1900mhz. It is not a GSM phone.

16. sikclown

He is wrong. The EVO 4g is CDMA only. It does not have a SIM card, it does not have a GSM antenna, it operates on the CDMA Network at 1900 MHz. Here is a list of places outside the states where it might roam but the prices would be ridiculous.

CDG : Worldwide : Worldwide

After clicking the link click the drop down on the left side of the page for all frequencies and choose 1900mhz and then search. It will list all the places that use cdma at that frequency

17. nobdoor

nobdoor Active Member

Has anybody tried registering an EVO ESN onto a non-data Sprint plan?

I want to buy off ebay, then register a basic plan on an EVO, but I don't want to blow my $$ until I know it may work.

18. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

:confused:

Did you mean, "all carrier subsidized phones come locked"? Because there are numerous phones available for purchase and use in the US which come "unlocked.