Root Will Master Reset Clear Root to allow OTA Updates?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ghost03, Oct 3, 2010.

1. ghost03

ghost03 Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I am currently running a rooted Samsung Captivate. I have not flashed it or anything and am still running 2.1 with the firmware update (JH7). I rooted to get rid of AT&Ts bloatware which I did using System App remover.

With Froyo on the way, I was wondering if a master reset would turn it back to stock (minus AT&T bloatware) and enable OTA updates again???

Please help because I am new to Android.

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Not having the stock AT&T apps will cause the OTA updates to fail. It apparently checks for their existence.

That's why it's not good to remove them.

ghost03 likes this.
  3. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Just to play devils advocate for.a sec.. Sorry S ;)... I dont know about the apps being gone keeping you from updating.. ive heard conflicting reports some say it happened some say they were fine. From personal experience i know that root didnt affect the jh7 update. I was rooted and lagfixed. I undid lag fix but kept root and was able to pull the update.

Since youve already done it, there isnt much point warning you not to.. So ill just say this.. If for some reason you cant get updates because you deleted some crap on your phone you didnt want, at least you can rest easy with the thought that great folks like design gears will have custom roms for us that will be just as good or probably better. And you.can still.live without the bloat taking up space, battery, ram and your.data...

I personally.am running.cog 2.2beta3 and i tell you... This is what.this phone.should have.been. Fast, no bloat (its actually hidden and disabled), working gps, 40hrs of regular use on 1charge, froyo, no.annoying startup noise... This rom saved my phone. I was so frustrated with it, i was ready to throw it in the street and hire a steamroller to flatten the hell out of it and send it to uncle sammy. I personally dont care if i get the "official" release. I know Cog or someone will have a better ROM out. The guys that make these are just good dudes that enjoy tinkering with his captivates Os and shares it with folks. Samsung needs to hire thes guys and maybe their shit would work.

Anyway if your concerned about gettin the OTAs, use odin to flash back to stock, then redo all your stuff. Just make sure you always keep good backups of everything if you plan to tinker with your ROMs.

Sorry Sremick, your probably cringing, but since hes already crossed the line, i thought id share some info from the dark side that people on his situation might find useful down the road.

ghost03 likes this.
  4. ghost03

ghost03 Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Thanks guys. One thing that i tried that seems to working is to clear the cache and data on device management under applications, restart phone, and check for updates.
    I cannot be sure it works without an actual update but at least I am not getting an error message when it checks.

5. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Entrepreneur
    Atlanta
    What I'll be doing as well is releasing a rooted version of OTA updates that'll come to our phones. There's a URL that presents itself before it installs the OTA which is the one we can use to download the update.zip package to our computers.

So I'll follow that process and add root to the update.zip and allow those that can't get a OTA update, or those who dont want to lose root can flash the latest and have root all together.

Many devs have done it over in the Droid section, including myself, so I know the process. You'll obviously need Odin to flash it until Koush gets ROM Manager working for the Froyo version Captivate....