• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Motorola Make A Photon II LTE?

Oh, that's definitely not the impression I wanted to make. I just prefer a removable battery, if it's the same capacity as the current MoPho. Considering that most of the non-removable batteries in the market have bigger capacities, it's just strange to me that it would be the same size as the current MoPho and not be removable. Just for instance, as decent of battery life as I get out of my current phone, I still have a routine where I have a second battery waiting for me at home that I just swap out at the end of the day. Battery life has never been an issue for me, it's just for comparison sake, 1700+mah, non-removable vs. 1700+mah removable...there's really no logic, especially considering what Motorola had done with the Razr Maxx, Atrix HD, and upcoming Razr Maxx HD. It's just odd.
Thanks, just curious why you said it. I do think it would be awesome if they used the same battery as the Razr Maxx, but I can't complain about the current.

I don't use my phone as much as my tablet, so I easily get a days use out of my phone no problem. No extra battery. I just prefer removable batteries for other reasons.

That is my biggest pause right now though I need to look at full specs side by side. I have a feeling that I will be getting the Q and my DH will save his upgrade for later and get my old MoPho.

Upvote 0
I'm so confused, now.

Motorola ATRIX HD LTE heading to Virgin Mobile | MobileSyrup.com

If the Atrix HD is heading to Virgin mobile, which is a Sprint owned subsidiary, why the heck wouldn't they offer it on Sprint?!!!!! OR even a better/higher spec'd version, like the Razr HD heading to Verizon?

Maybe sprint hasn't announce The Atrix HD LTE (probably would be labeled the photon 2) yet. The will give the Photon Q a launch window then hopefully announce the photon 2.

Upvote 0
Thanks, just curious why you said it. I do think it would be awesome if they used the same battery as the Razr Maxx, but I can't complain about the current.

I don't use my phone as much as my tablet, so I easily get a days use out of my phone no problem. No extra battery. I just prefer removable batteries for other reasons.

That is my biggest pause right now though I need to look at full specs side by side. I have a feeling that I will be getting the Q and my DH will save his upgrade for later and get my old MoPho.

No worries. My only questioning of the non-removable battery is, I thought the main reason oem's were going that route was so they could add a bigger battery, which wasn't the case here. It's just strange to me and would love to hear the justification from sprint and moto.

Only most upgrade I feel the mophoq offers is lte and 1.5 dual core snapdragon

Upvote 0
No worries. My only questioning of the non-removable battery is, I thought the main reason oem's were going that route was so they could add a bigger battery, which wasn't the case here. It's just strange to me and would love to hear the justification from sprint and moto.

Only most upgrade I feel the mophoq offers is lte and 1.5 dual core snapdragon
I actually really question why it is happening more. The HTC Evo LTE has a slightly bigger battery - non removable - but no where near large enough for it to be justified as well. Now if they slapped in the mega battery that the Droid Razr Maxx has, then I'd understand. It seems to be 'the thing" to do though. Much like the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery it seems others are doing it without what I would consider just cause.

Anyway having the dual core, the keyboard (for me at least) and ICS out of the box are all incentives for me. I know my MoPho is slated to get ICS by year end, but I like not having to upgrade. ICS is a huge winner for me on my tablet. Having it on my phone would probably cause me to use it at home more instead of the tablet at times.

I love the commercial. I'll show that to my husband later just for fun. Curious how the Colorboost screen will compare too.

Upvote 0
I actually really question why it is happening more. The HTC Evo LTE has a slightly bigger battery - non removable - but no where near large enough for it to be justified as well. Now if they slapped in the mega battery that the Droid Razr Maxx has, then I'd understand. It seems to be 'the thing" to do though. Much like the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery it seems others are doing it without what I would consider just cause.

Anyway having the dual core, the keyboard (for me at least) and ICS out of the box are all incentives for me. I know my MoPho is slated to get ICS by year end, but I like not having to upgrade. ICS is a huge winner for me on my tablet. Having it on my phone would probably cause me to use it at home more instead of the tablet at times.

I love the commercial. I'll show that to my husband later just for fun. Curious how the Colorboost screen will compare too.

The current mopho is a dual core. Difference is 1ghz tegra 2 vs. snapdragon 1.5ghz in the mophoq. Keyboard isn't an upgrade, but definitevely an incentive for many. That's the reason i'm getting for my family member.

Upvote 0
The current mopho is a dual core. Difference is 1ghz tegra 2 vs. snapdragon 1.5ghz in the mophoq. Keyboard isn't an upgrade, but definitevely an incentive for many. That's the reason i'm getting for my family member.
I don't view a keyboard as a real upgrade (nor a downgrade really) but like you said it is an incentive for many - for me it is a huge one.

I realized my mistake in my other post - I meant to say faster processor. No clue why I said dual core. Maybe I was going for faster dual core - who knows as I was tired this weekend.

I haven't owned a device with the snapdragon processor but it seems to review well. Both my tablet and phone are tegra 2

I doubt I will rush out and get this phone. I will be looking for the best deal on it. If it means waiting for the Black Friday sales at Best Buy then I am fine with it. I just have until the end of this year to decide or lose my upgrade until next year.

Reactions: simcha
Upvote 0
I don't view a keyboard as a real upgrade (nor a downgrade really) but like you said it is an incentive for many - for me it is a huge one.

I realized my mistake in my other post - I meant to say faster processor. No clue why I said dual core. Maybe I was going for faster dual core - who knows as I was tired this weekend.

I haven't owned a device with the snapdragon processor but it seems to review well. Both my tablet and phone are tegra 2

I doubt I will rush out and get this phone. I will be looking for the best deal on it. If it means waiting for the Black Friday sales at Best Buy then I am fine with it. I just have until the end of this year to decide or lose my upgrade until next year.

I was wondering...I figured it was just a typo. I've done it many times myself, so no worries.

Snapdragon processors have always been extremely solid on mobile phones, but the 1.5 dual core is supposed to be great.

I'm pretty much locked into Best Buy because I have the $50 they're giving me towards upgrade for the secondary line, plus another $200 gift card I have from selling my Flyer back for the "buy back" cost.

Upvote 0
I was wondering...I figured it was just a typo. I've done it many times myself, so no worries.

Snapdragon processors have always been extremely solid on mobile phones, but the 1.5 dual core is supposed to be great.

I'm pretty much locked into Best Buy because I have the $50 they're giving me towards upgrade for the secondary line, plus another $200 gift card I have from selling my Flyer back for the "buy back" cost.
That sounds like a great reason to use Best Buy. I actually haven't used Sprint for a while for a few reasons - mostly the prices are never the lowest and if they are BB will still match. I like the service better too.

We had $100 for BB but decided to get an Xbox HD instead LOL I could trade in my MoPho, but honestly I'd rather see if my husband would like it instead and save the upgrade for later.

Last year BB had a lot of really good phones on sale for $.01 each and I'd be happy to wait. I love my MoPho, I just would love to have a keyboard and ICS more ;)

Upvote 0
If I were going to guess, I'd suspect that adding the keyboard made it complicated to make the back removable. Nevertheless, the lack of a removable batter makes this completely worthless to me, at least -- especially when I'm traveling on business (but even sometimes in the local area), I simply have no way of recharging a lot of the time, so I regularly use two batteries in the course of a long day. Further, making the SIM card locked (I'm guessing also because you can't easily open it) makes this completely worthless as a world phone.

Upvote 0
That sounds like a great reason to use Best Buy. I actually haven't used Sprint for a while for a few reasons - mostly the prices are never the lowest and if they are BB will still match. I like the service better too.

We had $100 for BB but decided to get an Xbox HD instead LOL I could trade in my MoPho, but honestly I'd rather see if my husband would like it instead and save the upgrade for later.

Last year BB had a lot of really good phones on sale for $.01 each and I'd be happy to wait. I love my MoPho, I just would love to have a keyboard and ICS more ;)

Yup. I've done all of my ugprades for the past 4-5 years through Best Buy. I've had an amazing experience upgrading through them vs. directly through Sprint.

Since the MoPhoQ has a locked SIM that isn't removable, I'd honestly keep the MoPho (even if your husband doesn't like it). For whatever reason you might end up travelling out of the country, the MoPho will allow you the ability to purchase a pre-paid SIM and use the phone while outside of the US. I am personally going to be keeping the MoPho for that reason, as well as using it as a dedicated media player on the go.

Upvote 0
I'm curious about that part. Maybe it's just my unit, but when I used the Amazon MP3 app, the phone sounded like [junk]. There was a slight but noticeable high frequency squeal that made it unusable for me.

I rarely stream. I'll primarily be using it w/ audio files and/or video files on my micro SD card. Some people have been able to get rid of that squeal while setting up the built-in equalizer settings (in sound settings).

For audio files, I only use PowerAmp. By far the best audio music player on the market and worth every penny for the customizable equalizer.

For video files, I use MoboPlayer, which has been great...but I am still waiting for the VLC player to become available.

Reactions: scottegos2
Upvote 0
I rarely stream. I'll primarily be using it w/ audio files and/or video files on my micro SD card. Some people have been able to get rid of that squeal while setting up the built-in equalizer settings (in sound settings).

For audio files, I only use PowerAmp. By far the best audio music player on the market and worth every penny for the customizable equalizer.

For video files, I use MoboPlayer, which has been great...but I am still waiting for the VLC player to become available.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm not quite at the level of a friend of mine who replaces his iPod digital output with an outboard DAC, but getting rid of the squeal of an inferior DAC by rolling off the high frequencies doesn't work for me :(. I guess it could work for watching/listening to very old recordings that don't have anything in the high end anyway. Sigh, for a second I had hopes of dispensing with the iPod.

Upvote 0
Yup. I've done all of my ugprades for the past 4-5 years through Best Buy. I've had an amazing experience upgrading through them vs. directly through Sprint.

Since the MoPhoQ has a locked SIM that isn't removable, I'd honestly keep the MoPho (even if your husband doesn't like it). For whatever reason you might end up travelling out of the country, the MoPho will allow you the ability to purchase a pre-paid SIM and use the phone while outside of the US. I am personally going to be keeping the MoPho for that reason, as well as using it as a dedicated media player on the go.
Yeah that's part of why I was thinking of keeping it. Also because it is a really good phone and would be a good upgrade for my DH. The Evo LTE doesn't seem that much more "amazing" to either of us and that way we'd both get something new that we would like.

Like you I have had great experiences upgrading through Best Buy. My last 3 phones came from them and couldn't be happier. I think I'll keep using them for a while.

Scottegos2, I had an android slider before this one and it was still removable battery. I thought the Evo shift had a removable battery as well. So I think it has to be more than just it being a slider.

Not into listening to a lot of music via the phone. So when I do it's just stock apps. I used to listen all the time but I think working from home makes me do music differently now.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm not quite at the level of a friend of mine who replaces his iPod digital output with an outboard DAC, but getting rid of the squeal of an inferior DAC by rolling off the high frequencies doesn't work for me :(. I guess it could work for watching/listening to very old recordings that don't have anything in the high end anyway. Sigh, for a second I had hopes of dispensing with the iPod.

No problem. And I can understand your dilemma as many people have very sensitive ears to certain things like this. My eyes are similar, in that I have issues with 1st person shooter games and 3D. That's a big reason I didn't get the EVO 3D and went with the MoPho (which I was happy to have done after a year of owning the MoPho).

Upvote 0
Can't say that I have but as I sit the MoPho has done everything I've ever asked of it to a level I find more than acceptable. When my upgrade comes around if there's a good Moto phone ill probably upgrade to it. My experience with Samsung was just so bad I can't see myself spending $300 on a phone to go through that hell again.

A work buddy of mine has had his GSIII (on another carrier) for all of a week and the screen has already shattered. It's the pretty blue one. He loves it and will be exchanging it, FWIW.

I can't see myself going back to Samsung after the bad experience I had. I don't care if that phone came with two ounces of gold, it operated in 11 dimensions, printed legal currency, and had a direct line to Moses. I still wouldn't get it.

I'm so bummed about the MoPhoQ if it is the only successor. The only hope is that the Atrix HD LTE (that is going to Virgin) would come to Sprint as the true MoPho successor. I'd definitely consider that.

Upvote 0
A work buddy of mine has had his GSIII (on another carrier) for all of a week and the screen has already shattered. It's the pretty blue one. He loves it and will be exchanging it, FWIW.

I can't see myself going back to Samsung after the bad experience I had. I don't care if that phone were made of gold, it operated in 11 dimensions, printed legal currency, and had a direct line to Moses. I still wouldn't get it.

I'm so bummed about the MoPhoQ if it is the only successor. The only hope is that the Atrix HD LTE (that is going to Virgin) would come to Sprint as the true MoPho successor. I'd definitely consider that.

Not the only hope. I'm hoping Nexus line gets a Motorola variant that's offered on Sprint.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I really don't know what they heck Sprint was thinking. Even though the Electrify 2 is only supposed to have a 1.2ghz dual core processor, it's still more along the lines of what should've been the "true" successor to the MoPho:

USA Cellular adds Motorola Electrify 2, Defy XT to lineup this week

SMH
hmmm interesting indeed. Maybe the Photon Q is the keyboard version and there may be another non-keyboard /true successor to the Photon in the works.

or maybe not. One can dream though.

TS

Upvote 0
hmmm interesting indeed. Maybe the Photon Q is the keyboard version and there may be another non-keyboard /true successor to the Photon in the works.

or maybe not. One can dream though.

TS

Hopefully, it'll be like Field of Dreams...If we think it, it will come!

My thought is, "Make a Motorola Nexus that'll be like the Razr HD w/ a kickstand and same battery size as the Razr Maxx!" Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Upvote 0
I'm curious about that part. Maybe it's just my unit, but when I used the Amazon MP3 app, the phone sounded like [junk]. There was a slight but noticeable high frequency squeal that made it unusable for me.

I was never able to eliminate the whine through the headphone jack (or the car dock) on my MoPho, but bluetooth doesn't seem to suffer from it. Try some bluetooth headphones and see if it helps.

Upvote 0
I figured I'd update this thread, for those that aren't participating in the Sprint upcoming phone thread.

August 19 is being rumored as the release date:
Rumor: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE launching at Sprint on August 19 | PhoneDog

Although, I'm throwing another date out there. If you look at the calendar widget on the phone, it says August 16 (which is an odd date, considering most of Sprint's releases have come on a Friday or Sunday...Sometimes early releases on Wednesday).

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones