will rooting fix bad esn

Last Updated:

1. mbg237

mbg237 New Member

so i bought an evo from craigslist and called sprint to activate it and sprint says its still activated on another accound. so what are options?? if i root the phone will i be able to fix it. i also saw somewhere i can change the esn, does that mean i would take the esn from my broken lg and set it to the htc? thanks!

Advertisement
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

what you are talking about is illegal. you can't switch esn's like that. you could get into serious trouble and i do not recommend any such action. that is the issue when buying phones from ebay or craigslist. you need to check to see if you have a good phone or not before buying it. sorry man i think that you are SOL. on this one.
    EarlyMon and mbg237 like this.
  3. mbg237

mbg237 New Member

so i bought an evo from craigslist and called sprint to activate it and sprint says its still activated on another accound. so what are options?? if i root the phone will i be able to fix it. i also saw somewhere i can change the esn, does that mean i would take the esn from my broken lg and set it to the htc? thanks!
  4. mbg237

mbg237 New Member

i think so to, i dont know anything about stuff like this, when i was looking for options those are some things that came up. but thanks
  5. I.B. Pimpin

I.B. Pimpin Active Member

Not unless you have a close buddy that works for Sprint. Seriously though no you can't. What is the reason it has a bad ESN. Is it stolen? Was there an insurance claim filed on it? Failure to pay bill?

Edit: Nevermind I see why. You can contact whoever sold you the phone and tell them to drop it from their account. That is if they didn't steal it.
    mbg237 likes this.
  6. mbg237

mbg237 New Member

i actually just talked to sprint and they said his account was restricted bc he didnt pay balance. sucks for me, at least i didnt pay to much for it!
  7. IAmSixNine

IAmSixNine Well-Known Member

Your not out of luck. Put it back on CL but advertise its got a bad ESN and it will work great for someone wanting to re-flash it for metro PCS or Cricket or something.