Will rooting fix phone dial lag?General

Last Updated:

1. ronopolis

ronopolis Member This Topic's Starter

I have a stock 2.1 Eris. As a phone, it is a flaming turd. Phone-dial lag can be so bad the phone can be making a call minutes after I've hit the button to call. Once a week it is so screwed up that the phone thinks it is in a conference call with the same number at the same time. Because after a minute or two of no call being initiated, silly me, I dial again. Eventually both calls take place. I wind up talking to my wife while I'm also leaving some bogus voice mail at her same number. As it stands, this phone is literally an embarrassment. All of these problems started immediately after the 2.1 OTA update. Yes, I've done a factory reset. I've cleared my call log. Blah blah blah. I just want a phone that can dial without getting all "Special Olympics" on me.

Simple question: Will rooting fix this kind of problem?

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I don't know if it will fix it for you. But I don't have any dialer lag on the White Widow rooted ROM. But then, I never had any dialer lag in stock either.

Just as a casual observation, how many contacts do you have?

3. EricAtUNC

EricAtUNC Well-Known Member

In my experience, YES. My wife and I both had terrible phone lag with the Eris. I rooted both phones. I first started with Evil Eris 3.0. All issues and lag were solved on both phones. I've since tried White Widow 4.6 and now running XTR 3.0.3. In all ROMS there was no lag whatsoever. Some ROMS allow you to change the default dialer to Dialer One if you so choose, but I haven't found a need to yet.

4. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

In one word ... YES. I had the same issue and now run XTR 3.0.3 with no lag at all.

5. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Don't know if it actually "fixes" the dialer lag, but some ROMs have the stock dialer replaced. For me, it's the same as Demache, I'm using WW4.6 and have no dialer lag.

6. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I have no dialer lag at all after rooting. I do have some ringer lag, however, when a call or text message is being received. The screen lights up and the phone vibrates, but the audible sound is delayed. I did not experience this before root. I've had it on 3 different ROMs.

7. ronopolis

I have about 120 contacts. I don't think that is considered a large number.

8. ronopolis

On my stock 2.1 Eris I also sometimes get this ringer lag. I must have the special "Lag Edition" Eris ;)

9. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

I get lag on every rom I've tried.

lag between pressing the contact and the call screen popping up, and then another 5-10 seconds for it to start ringing, and then significant lag for the phone to become responsive after hanging up.

Haven't tried white widow though, maybe time for another nand and giving it a shot.

10. ronopolis

Which would you recommend?

11. Haxcid

Haxcid Well-Known Member

While rooting and other roms do not fix the problem they do greatly decrease the problem. I generally don't get dialer lag but once in a while it does happen, but very rarely.

12. jhug

jhug Active Member

I had horrible lag to the point that the phone was practically unusable.

I rooted - and have been LAG FREE.

Running WhiteWidow W4.6

Also of note - the Navigation was somewhat useless pre-root. I was having all sorts of problems with selecting an address to navigate to from the web, confusion between going to navigation and going to just the map, navigating to the previous destination, etc.

After root - the Navigation has worked flawlessly.

13. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I'm on XtrROM 3.03 with LauncherPro as my home - no dialer lag.
    I had LOTS of lag before rooting, so another vote for 'yes'.

14. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

15. Praetorian

Praetorian Well-Known Member

YES YES YES!!!!! My dialer lag was horrible but now my phone actually works as a phone. I installed XTRSense with JIT enabled and I have no dialer lag whats so every anymore and I don't OC. This rom is great if you like Sense UI.

16. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

It seems that XTR or White Widow will be your best bets.

17. ronopolis

For now I would prefer to keep sense UI (and I know my wife would). So it sounds like XTRSense with JIT enabled is my best bet? Can I get to XTRSense using the "universial eris root for dummies" technique (the one that uses no PC)?? I don't mind rooting the other way, but would like to try to "dummies" way.

18. dcfan99

dcfan99 Well-Known Member

I use xtrSense 3.1 and have the same sense UI I was accustomed to before root, but now I do not experience dialer lag at all and I much prefer the dialer and the keyboard in this ROM to the stock HTC (you have the ability to flash back to stock if that's what you want). In addition, I'm getting vastly better battery life and my phone is much more responsive period. It's like a new phone. Plus, I can remove all of the stock installed apps that I never use and just use up memory running themselves in the background.

I was big time on the fence about this and now I want to kick myself for waiting so long.

19. ronopolis

Can I use the "universial eris root for dummies" (no PC required) technique to install xtrSense 3.1?

20. ericDylan

ericDylan Well-Known Member

it is a definite yes! .. i have used sense roms that have the htc dialer with absolutely zero lag (zenEXP) and i am using a froyo rom now (tazz) also with no lag. i have had a pretty uniform experience with dialer lag on multiple roms.

btw i had the exact same problem as you before i rooted so it is not just that my phone doesnt have lag to begin with...

21. ronopolis

Hey guys, THANK YOU for all your answers. I'll take the plunge soon.

22. ronopolis

One other question: What is it in all these root ROMs that fixes the lag issues? Is HTC just re+arded? Is everything just clocked faster? Is some bloatware removed?

I work on Android development, and I'm just SHOCKED at how bad this stock Eris is. I mean, I actually like the physical design etc., but the lag -- how did HTC ever let that out the door?

23. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

That's a good question. Also, my battery life has more than doubled! I charged yesterday and I'm still at 58% tonight! Maybe because apps load so much quicker, there's less battery drain? I haven't a clue.

24. dcfan99

That is what I did. It took me about an hour start to finish, including reinstalling all my apps, tweaking my settings and getting my phone back to what it looked like when it started.

ronopolis likes this.
  25. dcfan99

I can't really answer that as I'm not a programmer type, but I think a lot of the bloatware is gone with these ROMs and also I used SetCPU to overclock to 710 and I'm using profiles to managing processor speed depending on what's going on (probably also contributing to my better battery). I've uninstalled everything I don't use and it's just generally a snappier phone.