Will Rooting Your Android Void your Insurance

Last Updated:

1. Joe294

Joe294 Member This Topic's Starter

sorry if this is a dumb question but everyone says rooting you phone will void warranty but will it void your insurance if you pay monthly for it?

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't. If the phone was broke, lost or stolen, how would they know it was rooted.

3. USofPlutarchy

USofPlutarchy Well-Known Member

Rooting won't void it. Running software enabled through rooting (like overclocking) will void it. They can't tell though, but you should hold yourself accountable and have some integrity.

4. Mskgreenel

Mskgreenel Well-Known Member

My friend who works at a VWZ store said that "they" can tell. He's a straight up nerd and I know he can tell. The question is if they can tell that the device is rooted, will they care??

5. jonhammond52

jonhammond52 Banned

Short answer, Yes. But 99% of the time they dont check the phones out until they have been replaced and then its to late. If you tell them you rooted it, then they wont cover it. Wouldnt be concerned, most of their employees dont even know what that is

6. Shotgunx1x

Shotgunx1x Well-Known Member

Can they tell it was rooted if the device cant even power on?

7. golfinglenn

golfinglenn Well-Known Member

Short answer, they will never know if it is an insurance replacement vs. warranty replacement. When you send it in under an insurance claim (like Asurian), it goes to a mass receiving facility that isn't even Asurian, just a middle man that gets the phones, removes batteries, micro sd cards, etc. and they all go in their seperate boxes then then phone goes somewhere for reconditioning or trash.

I found this out the hard way by shipping one back with the micro sd card still in it. Tried to get sd card back, but no go as they don't even have a way to track phone once it hits receiving facility. They record the MEID or ESN to credit sender, but other than that it is on the disassembly line never to be found again. Somewhere there is a bunch of batteries and sd cards floating around lol. I hope they enjoyed my pics, there was some GOOD ones in there lol.

8. nateap87

nateap87 Well-Known Member

this came up during a google search so i hate to be the guy to resurrect an old thread but! i rooted my phone and lost the imei which is a known issue with verizon samsung phones. basically i couldn't make calls. now the phone has a cracked screen as well. so for whatever reason, verizon has a random imei registered under my number when i called them. i unrooted the phone and recovered the imei but now i'm curious to see what happens from here. the screen won't turn out (but the phone will).