Will the car and HDMI docks allow a "cased" DX to fit?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. ChiefHopper

ChiefHopper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was going to buy cases for my two DX phones, but am not sure I should. The reason: with a case on the phone it appears that it will NOT fit into either the car dock or in the HDMI dock. I especially want the car dock and once I am familiar with the navigation functions will drop my Garmin onto e-bay.

So is my understanding correct? The docks, both of them, will not accommodate a cased DX?

Advertisement
  2. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like they will work with a case

3. CEV

CEV Well-Known Member

Seidio should have a home dock that fits there cases. Hoping they make a car dock as well.

4. benjiedude

benjiedude Well-Known Member

While i don't have the phone yet I did receive my charging station and car dock. I can safely say they will not fit a cased DX.

5. chinatti

chinatti Member

I just got my car dock / X yesterday. The car dock has a removable insert that is intended (according to the instructions) to be removed to allow you to use it with a case. Don't have a case yet, but plan on getting one, so I haven't tried this, but it appears that it will work with a case...

6. RFHavens

RFHavens Member

I got the car and home docks as well as the shell holster combo. Definitely will not work with the home dock. The car dock has a removable insert but with the same shell case on the X it will not securely mount into it. At first it appeared to be one of the two bumps on the back of the main part (not the insert). So, since it is not visible, I heated a utility knife and trimmed it (the larger one on the right). With the case on it will connect partially so it is recognized as being in the dock but is still not really secure enough to trust imho. When I looked closer, the case also makes a little too much contact with the front of the mount. Of course doing any trimming would make a good looking mount look like crap, so I am skipping that mod.

So now I will be looking for a holster that does not require a shell on the phone. Removing and installing the shell is not a big deal but will likely get annoying and may mar the finish over time.

I am sure that Seidio and others will be releasing some options in time. I will say that the quality of the docks is real good, especially the home dock. It is a solid quality piece.

7. benjiedude

benjiedude Well-Known Member

I just read through everything that came with the dock and I do not see anything about an insert. Can you post a pic?

8. chinatti

chinatti Member

Instruction sheet scan attached.

Attached Files: