Will the Eris fit my needs?General

Last Updated:

1. EKG

EKG Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What's up guys. I am looking at getting the Eris but I just have a question about the battery life...I tend to unplug my phone around 7 on weekdays and will usually plug it back in around 9 or so. I text constantly throughout the day, maybe have an average of like 8 minutes of talk time on the phone. I check Facebook and Twitter periodically throughout the day. I don't really surf the web but I like to play with apps (although, not really that much throughout the day). I don't want to have to plug in my phone during the day. Will this work for me?

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

Yes, but it will take a few days to get it optimized.

3. EKG

What do you mean by optimized?

4. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

It takes a few days for the battery to get broken in and get some good apps on the phone, it takes a few days for you to get used to it and in a "groove" and know what it can do.

Read the various stickies on the top of this section, esp about battery life, they will help you.

5. EKG

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies Caddyman!

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

What device are you using to do all that on now?

7. EKG

I have an iPhone 3gS. I will be switching back to Verizon this week. I would rather not give up my iPhone, because I love it, but I have no choice at the moment. I am hoping the Eris will make this transition less painful for me haha.

8. Frisco

There seems to be a lot of pro and con with regard to comparisons of iPhones and any Droid, especially the Eris.

I'll bet you'll end up seeing differences between the two that will make you think in both directions: good and bad. ;)

9. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

It may depend on the strength of your Verizon signal. If you get a strong signal, you should be all set for that sort of use over 14 hours. If it's weak, you may have issues by the end of the day.

10. EKG

Hm well when I was on Verizon before I usually had pretty strong signal, so hopefully it will be the same now!

11. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

The nice thing is, you don't need a proprietary cable to charge the Eris. Any USB mini cable, and you're charging

I've gotten almost 3 days out of a charge, though. Average now is just about 48 hours

12. Solidis

Solidis Well-Known Member

I was worried that i wouldnt like it.. I used to have a G1 for the first 2 days then i returned it because of the horrible battery life.. then i moved over to Verizon because i saw the eris.. I got the eris and started to charge it and started reading the how to get better battery life.. i did what they said and what a Huge diffrence in battery life.. It also helps to get Advanced Task Killer..

SO YEA GET IT ITS A GREAT PHONE!!!

13. mj_b90

mj_b90 Well-Known Member

This describes my typical usage almost exactly, and the Eris is great for me. I'm not the type that disables data because I bought a smartphone and pay $30 a month for that reason alone.

I usually notice that I start to run low on battery too early when I'm in very weak signal for extended periods. I just remember to turn on airplane mode when I know I'll have no signal for a while (3 hour computer lab in some campus basements). Other than that, I can get through the day without a problem and the Eris meets my needs perfectly.

14. AwesomeIT

AwesomeIT Well-Known Member

It will work fine for your needs. I never "optimized" my battery. There are conflicting ideas on lithium ion battery technology. Lithium Ion isn't supposed to need any sort of conditioning in order to get max battery life. Some people believe the technology has limitations and needs it. I use my phone similar to how the OP plans on using his, only I probably use mine more. I do a good bit of web surfing in addition to constantly texting and using apps. My phone comes off the charger at 6:45 in the morning and goes back on it at around 10:30 pm. I don't believe it has ever dropped below 25% battery before it goes back on the charger with my use, which I would say is moderate to heavy.

If you do feel like "optimizing" or "conditioning" your battery, there are instructions stickied at the top of the forum.

15. RC Addict

RC Addict Well-Known Member

When in doubt go with the Extended Battery by seidioonline.com. I got the 3600 mAh battery and it tripled my usage time. Now I can go almost a day and a half of heavy use before needing a recharge. Yes, the battery doubled the size of the phone, but I have big hands and most the time my phone is sitting on a desk on in a dash holder when I am in the 18 wheeler at work.

16. mersh21

mersh21 Well-Known Member

For me....i love my eris but i'm still sketical with it's battery life. Some days i get decent life out of it....others...not so much. There are some good stickies and advice on how to get the most out of your battery life. I know disabling the mobile network is a real help but i don't believe in doing that for the simple fact that we buy smartphones to have a mobile network running at all times.

I think you will be happy with the eris....just be aware that you are gonna get alot of people telling you to use and not use specific things....go with your gut.

17. RC Addict

RC Addict Well-Known Member

VERY good advice!!!

18. mersh21

thanks....i've learned alot in these forums in a matter of two weeks time. Lol.

19. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member

I wish my battery would last that long. After I make a call, text some, and play a game my battery is down to 75% and that is only the beginning of the day. I still have the whole day ahead. Do you think I should take my battery back and get a replacement?

20. mersh21

my phone is the same way....i think it's just the way the phone is.

21. tdavis42

tdavis42 Guest

I am becoming increasingly unsatisfied with this phone.

22. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member

I guess. I hope with the update coming up hopefully that will fix this issue a bit.

23. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

have hope, 2.1 and root are coming

24. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

Don't believe the meter. Any battery meter is just a guess based on your current usage. Batteries are not like the fuel tank in your car. There isn't an actual measurable quantity of charge in there. Based on several factors that I can't explain without drawing pictures, the meter assumes there is approximately xx% charge left.

And, as has been stated in other battery threads, it sometimes seems as if that ladt 15% lasts as long, if not longer, than the other 85% did...

Batteries are wierd critters...

25. Frisco

When I saw your post I scrolled up the thread to try to see what your concerns were. Perhaps they're all posted in a different area of the forums.

I'm not being sarcastic (I'm that way a lot here :eek:, but not this time).

I like the Eris so much that I can say a modified version of your remark, "I am becoming increasingly satisfied with this phone." Honest.

What's going on with yours?