• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the EVO 4G get Ice Cream Sandwich?

Just looked at the specs on that device.
Match the EVO's right on with internal hardware, with a newer processor most likely and a smaller screen, looks like Sense 3.6 on EVO's will run smooth enough to perhaps play games without lag like Sense 3.5?

EDIT: One V runs Sense 4.0
Might not be the One V. Someone recently said the Primo is actually the One S. Either way, the Primo's specs are on par with our device, and Qualcomm just released updated adreno2xx drivers for ICS. Only thing we're missing now is some compatible kernel source.

Upvote 0
Ok...I am a bit confused here.

I have a completely Stock Sprint EVO 4G that has never been rooted.

My question is, will I be getting ICS at some point OTA from either Sprint or HTC ?

My thoughts are no, but I could be wrong.

Let me know your thoughts, please

99% .. NO... it aint coming from any official source.

you want it any android version after Gingerbread.. you got to root the phone...

Upvote 0
I've seen a few of your posts having issues that are easily solvable by rooting teh device.

We've already had ICS for our rooted EVO's for quite a while now as well as the internal space issues I saw about in another thread.

Also, since you have another year before your eligible... rooting your phone is like getting a whole new phone each time you flash a new ROM.

:D

If you get curious... check us out in the all things root section :D:D:D:D

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Bummer!

I have non-rooted EVO 4g and the only way this device gets rooted, is if someone else does it for me. I barely ever use my computer - I'm always on my device.

If even someone as technically DEclined like me can root his (and his whole family's EVOs), you can, too. It's really not that difficult.

Reactions: Rxpert83 and dan330
Upvote 0
Might not be the One V. Someone recently said the Primo is actually the One S. Either way, the Primo's specs are on par with our device, and Qualcomm just released updated adreno2xx drivers for ICS. Only thing we're missing now is some compatible kernel source.

Primo is 100% definitely One V. Just had a look at the shipped primo ROM, definitely One V. lol

Upvote 0
Primo is 100% definitely One V. Just had a look at the shipped primo ROM, definitely One V. lol
True story.

We also now have kernel source for the Primo, so it's possible devs will be able to get us some ICS Sense ports soon. I don't know how functional they'll be, though, at least at first.

It'd be nice to see something.

Upvote 0
I waited a year to root and now regret waiting so long. I did take the OTA update to 2.3.5 this past January, but the process was easy using the dummies guide. Their are plenty on folks on here to help with ANY issues you have during the process.

The more I learn about my phone the more I want to do with it.

Upvote 0
I waited a year to root and now regret waiting so long. I did take the OTA update to 2.3.5 this past January, but the process was easy using the dummies guide. Their are plenty on folks on here to help with ANY issues you have during the process.

The more I learn about my phone the more I want to do with it.

I agree. I waited awhile to root my 4G, and when I did, i didn't know what took me so long, this phone is used by so many people, there is so much help. and since so many people do root this phone, it's one of the easiest ones to root. I rooted my Evo 3D, and it was almost as easy, but the Evo 4G performs way better.

highly recommend root, increases battery life and makes the phone a lot faster.

if you can follow instructions, just read the tutorials step by step, you wont have any issues.

that's the only way you're going to get ICS on an Evo 4G.

Upvote 0
I got ics on it

Attachments

• 1368150554197.jpg
    1368150554197.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
your EVO has to be rooted .. to get Custom ROM with newer android versions.

I know i have to be rooted..... but i figured it could be a good question on whether or not ICS was available with a custom Sense ROM, a buddy of mine that i helped restore his almost bricked Bionic has ICS on his, and he was talking about how much he liked how fast and responsive ICS was

Upvote 0
I know i have to be rooted..... but i figured it could be a good question on whether or not ICS was available with a custom Sense ROM, a buddy of mine that i helped restore his almost bricked Bionic has ICS on his, and he was talking about how much he liked how fast and responsive ICS was

some phones just can't handle ics properly. yes there plenty of ics roms out there now for the og evo, but to me they are very clunky and not as smooth as gingerbread aosp roms......plus ics roms for the og evo do not have front facing camera working or 4g......not that it matters now with wimax support gone from sprint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones