• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Will the HTC Desire officially get 2.3 and/or 3.0?

Hey there guys, I'm a big Android fan and had my HTC Desire since August last year, frankly it's my first Android phone and smartphone in general but a long time before I received it I've been following Android and Android phones all the time. This question may sound very weird and noobish but, I couldn't find anywhere on the internet at all precisely, wether or not the HTC Desire will get the official Android 2.3 update, and also wether it will get Android 3.0 update. I'm mostly stoked for the 3.0 update because of the new Android music player and the Google Music system that it will have, atleast if it's not gonna be in 2.3 which im not sure of. Oh and when any of the two will come out officially for the HTC Desire, is the date for any of the two releases known already?

Also, this question is a little bit off-topic but I think making another topic for it would be a bit spamming but, sometimes after calling or sometimes out of itself when unlocked, my screen goes dark, not as if it's actually luminated dark, but the screen just goes off. When I try to hit the lock button on the top of the phone, it doesn't seem to work, what it only does is lighting up the button LEDs from the 4 buttons beneath the screen. To fix it I have to pull out my battery and then put it in again, and turn it on again. Is there anyway to prevent this bug/fault in the future, or how to fix it, or is it an internal fault and should I send it to HTC/my operator for repair?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just happen to see this thread which just has been posted in the general HTC Desire section http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/310007-gingerbread-incoming.html just after I posted this thread. I am on T-Mobile, in the Netherlands though and it gives no specific info on that sadly, does anyone know anything more?

@Wingedsaber,
Welcome to this forum. :)

HTC Desire is officially on v2.2 and the next update is scheduled to be v2.3.
Most likely, the newest HTC models will get the update first (Incredible S, Desire HD/Z), after which it will be the turn for Desire. I suspect this to happen in 2-3 months.

More important is to check if your Desire is branded or not. If it is, then you are left for T-Mobile's mercy and the update might be (or not) much later.

I'm not sure about Desire getting updates after v2.3. We can say it has had a long run, so I think this will be the last major update. After all, the successor (Desire S) is almost in the shops.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones