• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will the Incredible S & Desire S ever be rooted?

HTC Desire is still wonderful device because of the strong dev community. I don't have to worry about the latest OS software with it (I've got Android v2.3.4 on it next to Nexus S! :)).
My next phone search follows the root and custom ROMs. Probably Samsung SGS2 will be the winner.

Curiously, SE Arc still has no proper custom ROMs even though it is rooted...

Upvote 0
I agree Usta - Rooting and ROMs is HUGE for me I can't believe i ever lived with my Desire unrooted lol. But anyhow i have a year till I can upgrade so thats a perfect oppertunity to let HTC put things right and see what happens in the world of phones. Amd as you said the Desire is still great and I love it so im happpy for now :p

Upvote 0
But yeah, a handset's dev community is more important to me than the brand,

I've said it time and time again...this is the ONLY reason NOKIA is still doing well with their older symbian phones...I mean software comparison to android or even iOS, symbian is far FAR behind...

but in terms of the community and what they do...cooking firmwares and all the nifty lil things they did...well hell..I think its one of the biggest..

I think its one of the reasons Nokia will STILL producing new firmwares for the 5800...because the community were cooking some of the C6 ones an porting them over...so nokia started to do their own...

never ceased to amaze me over there :)

Upvote 0
I've said it time and time again...this is the ONLY reason NOKIA is still doing well with their older symbian phones...I mean software comparison to android or even iOS, symbian is far FAR behind...

but in terms of the community and what they do...cooking firmwares and all the nifty lil things they did...well hell..I think its one of the biggest..

I think its one of the reasons Nokia will STILL producing new firmwares for the 5800...because the community were cooking some of the C6 ones an porting them over...so nokia started to do their own...

never ceased to amaze me over there :)
nokia is failing harder than you think and recently axing thousands of jobs in the uk because of poor sales

Upvote 0
nokia is failing harder than you think and recently axing thousands of jobs in the uk because of poor sales

well thats part in hand to their deal with the devil...

BUT I meant more on the community side of things rather than sales...sorry if it came across that way..

go to daily mobiles and well, last time I was there it was a buzz with the devs doing all their lil magic on the ailing symbian phones..

Upvote 0
this is only my opinion but i cant afford to buy outright so my phones are branded. ill go where i can root, end of story. i like to have my phone how I want it and not how HTC or my carrier wants it

That's not exactly true. If you do a contract / upgrade through the CarphoneWarehouse then you'll get an unbranded phone / sim-free phone.

I actually dodged a bullet when I got my Desire because I was going to get it direct from O2 initially. O2 wanted

Upvote 0
Has anyone on this forum actually contacted HTC regarding this?

Maybe if several people sent their technical team a link to this thread, they would consider changing it... Probably a shot in the dark, but could be worth it - otherwise we're all just wishing for something and discussing it here, rather than letting HTC know!

Anyone feeling brave enough? ;)

Mark_Baker@htc.com Senior Director Enterprise Business Unit Americas
Cher_Wang@htc.com Chairman
John_Wang@htc.com Chief Marketing Officer, HTC Corporation
Keith_Nowak@htc.com Senior Public Relations Manager at HTC
Fred_Liu@htc.com COO of HTC
HT_Cho@htc.com Board Member of HTC
Peter_Chou@htc.com CEO
Lotus_Chan@htc.com VP HTC
Horace_Luke@htc.com Chief Innovation Officer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones